Accessibility in Ketchikan

rfbdorf

This June DW will be in Ketchikan by herself while I'm off flightseeing for a couple of hours. We're trying to decide what she can do. She is paraplegic & in a powerchair. The HAL excursion brochure says wheelchair folk must be accompanied - we're considering ignoring HAL's condition & seeing what happens, but I want to avoid any hassle for her when I'm not there to help. Is there other transportation in the town that could be used to get her to & back from, say, Saxman? Like a taxi service that has a wheelchair van?

- Richard

depending on when you go..the sidewalks will be crowded, the stores have narrow aisles. it's a very small town, i would say that there MAY be something to get her around..but i won't count on it. even around town, the grounds have gravel everywhere, very narrow sidewalks. if someone was with her, i doubt you would have a problem.

i have some pictures of the dock area

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554415808KIEMHv?start=0

Keep in mind that you will still be in the good ole' USA and ADA regulations apply. City busses will have to be ADA compliant. IF the city busses are not wheelchair accessable, they will need to provide paratransit service. Also, ADA says that you can NOT be made to take a PCA (Personal Care Attendant), but if you are traveling as a PCA, the PCA rides free because they are the same as say...a wheelchair. I am in the transportation business and ADA is very stressed. Anyone getting federal dollars will be compliant and public transportation falls into that.

Archived