Vatican Museum Guided Tour

If I reserve for a guided tour, can I don't follow them and go straight to the Sistine Chapel? Thanks

We did the Individual Guided Tour and I don't think our guide was keeping track of us because the group was fairly large .... so I would say that it would be easy to leave the group and go on your own.

There was a line at noon (which we bypassed with our tour tickets) .... but the line was moving quickly .... probably about 1/2 hour to get through the line.

If you do the full tour, I would suggest trying to do it at noon as opposed to 2:30. With the museum, Sistene chapel and St. Peters, we were there for almost 3 hours.

I don't know about lines at 9 a.m. .... other than I've read that lines are longer in the morning.

We've hired a private guide to see the Vatican. We were advised to meet him at 2:00 pm because it would be less busy. I'm concerned that this may be too late in the day..Do you know what time tours stop?

I think that with a private guide, you can go in at whatever time he arranges it within the museums' opening hours (unlike the Vatican's own guided tours which are at set times).

I think that with a private guide, you can probably take in the museum, Sistene Chapel and St. Peters in 2 hours. The Vatican's tours are a little more stretched out (they take 15 minutes to get everyone organized, then show a slide show for 10 minutes, and moving through the museum with 20 people instead of a small group of 8 (or less) takes a few minutes longer.)

When Donna and I went to the Vatican in Nov '05 the museum and sisteen chapel closed at 1pm - so check the closing times - we had a guide for the vatican itself and we started that at 4pm and we felt we were a little rused - if you visit on Wed - be aware that is the day for the Papal audience and the piazza is closed till 1130 am or so

Archived