Athens - How much time for each site?

Temple of Olympian Zeus

Acropolis Hill

Ancient Agora

Anafiotika

Tower of the Winds

Roman Agora

Fleamarket

Thanks.... is there any attraction I can leave out and what are the must for Athens that is not included in the list? Thanks

We spent approximately the following length of time at each site:

Temple of Olympian Zeus
20-30 minutes

Acropolis Hill
2 hours (including Acropolis Museum)

Ancient Agora
45 minutes - including walking up to Temple of Hephaistos

Anafiotika
We walked through the Plaka on our way to some of the sites, and had lunch in Monastiraki Square, but I think we missed this area.

Tower of the Winds
20-30 minutes

Roman Agora
(included in the time above for Tower of Winds ... they are adjacent to each other.)

Hadrian's Arch and the Panathinaikon stadium are in the vicinity of the Temple of Zeus and are worth seeing.

Susan gives a good idea, but what we found was we spent more time in the museum and walking through the Agora than we planned.

I had maps, walks plotted out, time frame figured and those darn gods that live on that hill just laughed at my plans and told me to just enjoy the moment. And thats what I did.

Now we find that we've booked another cruise and will be paying the gods another visit, I can maybe see some of the things I missed, but I learned my lesson about Greece--it is not to be rushed and you will return.

IMO this all depends on the likes and interests of each individual...........there is NO set time for touring a site on a vacation, each person will spend different time at each location and different people pick different sights they want to see.

CIAO,

IMO this all depends on the likes and interests of each individual...........there is NO set time for touring a site on a vacation, each person will spend different time at each location and different people pick different sights they want to see.

Yes, this holds true for whatever site or city you are taking in .... but I think the OP probably wanted estimates. It makes it much easier when planning a day in port if you have an idea of whether you 'need' 10 minutes or 2 hours at a site.

I'm sure that many people who go to the National Archaeological Museum in Athens probably spend a good portion of their day there (if they are there for a multi day visit). We spent an hour and a half there, using Rick Steves' 'highlights of the museum'. When you are visiting a city for a day, the visits to sites can become quite compacted and it helps to know if it's possible and/or worth visiting a site in a short period of time.

Mountainmaire - congratulations on your upcoming trip back to the Med! When are you going and on which ship?

I'm looking forward to a return visit to the Med one of these days, to see some of the sites that we didn't the first time, or to have a more leisurely look at some of the ones that we did.

Hi all

I went to Rhodes last year and took a one day layover in Athens - wanting to see as much as we could we rented a cab for a full day tour - we saw all the sights all the way down to the Temple of Poisidon. The driver and his son run the company and he has a real nice Mercedes cab -and if it makes a difference - he dosen't smoke! and that is a big plus in Greece for a full day tour he charges $200 - and I felt it was worth every penny! - we weren't rushed and felt we were able to see all we wanted the web site is

http://www.*****/ -- ask for Paul or Joseph tell them that Donna, Alex, Cindy and David say Hi!!

Hi all

I went to Rhodes last year and took a one day layover in Athens - wanting to see as much as we could we rented a cab for a full day tour - we saw all the sights all the way down to the Temple of Poisidon. The driver and his son run the company and he has a real nice Mercedes cab -and if it makes a difference - he dosen't smoke! and that is a big plus in Greece for a full day tour he charges $200 - and I felt it was worth every penny! - we weren't rushed and felt we were able to see all we wanted the web site is

http://www.*****/ -- ask for Paul or Joseph tell them that Donna, Alex, Cindy and David say Hi!!

Have any of you ever used "George" who advertises as "the best taxidriver in Athens.?" The description of Paul or Joseph sounds like the same people. George also has a son and a Mercedes cab. We are planning to hire George but would appreciate any recommendations anyone can give us.

Thanks...

Marilyn

Have any of you ever used "George" who advertises as "the best taxidriver in Athens.?" The description of Paul or Joseph sounds like the same people. George also has a son and a Mercedes cab. We are planning to hire George but would appreciate any recommendations anyone can give us.

Thanks...

Marilyn

Hi there:-

We used the services of George's Kokkotos Company. The Company is made up of George & his son Dennis, and not to be mistaken for Paul or Joseph's company. George has a Mercedes Cab & Dennis has a Mercedes Limo for bigger groups. I did a lot of research and read a lot of testimonials before picking George. I found about George through the Matt Barrett's Greek Survival Guide. www.athensguide.com. which is an excellent reference guide to seeing Athens.

A direct site to George's taxi service is www.greecetravel.com/taxi/ We spent three (3) days post cruise in Athens. George & Dennis were both busy so he arranged for John to pick us up in his A/C Mercedes from the Port of Piraeus and to our hotel. John also took us on a 1/2 day dinner tour of the Cape of Sounion (Temple of Poseidon) and also to the Airport on our last day. John was excellent and lived in the U.S. at one time and spoke very good english.

One site in Athens you don't want to miss is taking the Tram up to Lycabettus Hill and seeing the 360 degree view of all Athens.

FYI:)

Archived