Shoot the Tubes in Kauai

PGcruiser

Does anyone have any information on this excursion? I believe it is in Kauai, but it could be elswhere. You ride an inertube through a ditch through tunnels etc, with a hard hat and a light on top. I pretty sure I did not dream of this

I just got back from NCL Wind Cruise and we tubed the ditch. We were a group of 9 various ages form 13-75. You get in an inner tube in chilly (not cold water) wearing your hard hat w/light, gloves and water socks. It was so much fun. You have guides to help you along the way. The only thing that I didn't like was that you really spin around when you are in the tunnels so i got a little dizzy. The longest tunnel was 6/10ths of a mile. It was so much fun and the Kauai Back country company were great. I would recommend this trip to everyone.

thanks for the info dynamite. I emailed this company for some info. It is a 10 minute taxi ride from the cruise dock and the cost is $88.00 approx for Adults.

I guess it must be similar to the zip line everyone talks about($148.00).

There is also a lot of great snorkling in Kauai and hopefully if we shoot the ditch in the morning, we could get a couple of hours of snorkling in before having to be back on board.

I think it would be great if cruise ships stayed 2 days in each port as there is so much to see and do and not enough time in one day.

thanks for the info dynamite. I emailed this company for some info. It is a 10 minute taxi ride from the cruise dock and the cost is $88.00 approx for Adults.

I guess it must be similar to the zip line everyone talks about($148.00).

There is also a lot of great snorkling in Kauai and hopefully if we shoot the ditch in the morning, we could get a couple of hours of snorkling in before having to be back on board.

I think it would be great if cruise ships stayed 2 days in each port as there is so much to see and do and not enough time in one day.

The Zip line is $114.00 per Adult...not 148.00 my mistake

I have also emailed Shoot the Ditch in Kona/Hilo for info...I will post it when I recieve it.

Flumin da Ditch on the Island of Hawaii sounds a little less wet than Shooting the Tube on Kauai. Flumin da Ditch is done in 6 person Kayaks with a local guide on each telling the local folklore and legends. Big Fun! No need for hardhats and there are plenty of tunnels the longest being 1800 feet - that's 6 football fields! It was the highlight of my many trips to Hawaii.

Tubin' da Ditch was the best excursion we did. Loved it! In our case, it was better to take the ship's excursion versus doing it on your own. The taxi ride was $14, I think. Would save money through NCL, since they shuttled you from the dock. By the way, they don't mention that you do a 30 minute private road drive to the ditch area. It was a beautiful drive, and the guides were great. Also, I took an underwater camera, so camera+processing is about $20. Well, they take really nice digital photos while you're tubing, and the CD was $20. Maybe shoulda done that. Have fun.

By the way, I have photos of Tubing at the link below.

Mountainhouse-

Thanks for the great photos. We are renting a car in Kauai and booked the tubing for 8/31 on our own. What time slot did you have for tubing? We have a 10am slot. They told us it wasn't as busy at that time.

Cheri

Hey RC...we are also going to rent a car and tube the ditch. 10 am sounds about right. Lots of time to get back to the ship..just in case. I was told it is a 10 minute drive from ship dock. Where did you rent your car? What are the prices? Hope you don't mind the questions.

We went at 10AM also. We did sort of a dumb thing, but it worked out okay. We taxied there in the morning. Afterward, rather than pay a taxi, we walked the 1.5 miles or so to Walmart, and caught the suttle back. Side of the road's pretty narrow, so not sure I'd go for that again. You two are going to love this excursion. Even the lunch afterward was nice. And, again, the guides really enjoy their work and it shows in their attitude. I should mention though, they stopped at one point, and we looked down at the folks doing their zipline course. Wow, that looked like a lot of fun too. I think I'll do that next time.

We had 20 in water I think. And there were 3 guides in the water, and another on shore. It seemed like they were nearby all the time. Also, for the tunnels, everyone gets issued rock climbing helmuts. My only concern would be that they turned off the lights in one of the tunnels, just to see what floating in the dark is like. However, I suspect they might skip that with younger ones along. As long as your 7 year old is adventurous, I would think it's fine.

PGcruiser- We are renting with National. I am using a two car upgrade coupon from our entertainment book. The rate was $36.12 for a ful size car for the day.

Harryminnella- We are bringing our two children 6&12. I spoke with a very nice lady from BackCountry and she said the kids always have lots of fun.

Mountainhouse-We wanted to do the zipline but the kids are too young. Did you pack your own watershoes. Thanks again for the info.

We purchased reef shoes for our last cruise. The best purchase ever. We wore them every day in Tahiti. They are sturdy enough to wear right from the ship.

I purchased mine for $7.00 at Zellers and DH for $35.00 at a swim shop(got his first). Funny how mine are in better shape than his. We also purchased snorkles and masks. (no fins). Got 2 of those small net laundry bags from dollar store and we're good to go.

Thanks RC...I will check out the Entertainment book. Does National pick you up at dock?

I am wondering about taking the shuttle to Walmart and then renting a taxi to the tour and same on way back..taxi to Walmart and shuttle to ship. I heard that you can walk to snorkling beach from ship on Kauai...Can anyone confirm this?

PGcruiser- We are renting with National. I am using a two car upgrade coupon from our entertainment book. The rate was $36.12 for a ful size car for the day.

Harryminnella- We are bringing our two children 6&12. I spoke with a very nice lady from BackCountry and she said the kids always have lots of fun.

Mountainhouse-We wanted to do the zipline but the kids are too young. Did you pack your own watershoes. Thanks again for the info.

I heard that you can walk to snorkling beach from ship on Kauai...Can anyone confirm this?

You can walk to a beach from the ship on Kauai. Not great snorkeling but a nice beach, nonetheless. The Kauai Marriott is right there too for drinks, restroom, etc. :)

Spleen

Archived