Inspired by the "bringing a teen friend" thread

taylor1293

I was going to ask today about the medical/travel forms necessary when bringing a teen friend along, but that has already been covered in the other thread. Thank you to the person who started it!

We have also decided that our DD, who will be 14 next summer when we sail, may bring a friend.

We will pay for her friends cruise, but we will not be covering ANY spending she does on the ship or in the ports. How much spending money should I request they send with her? It's a 7 day Western on the Legend, if that makes a difference.

The teen friend has never traveled anywhere, not even out of the state, so I would assume she'll want to do plenty of shopping. She'll spend money in the arcade, but she doesn't drink soda, so that's not an issue. What else is there for her to spend money on?

I can only speak for teen boys. We had our sons friend bring $300. That covered his excursions, and whatever he bought off the ship. Everything they buy on the ship goes onto the sail and sign account. We copied that upon our return, highlighted his purchases and settled with his parents. Even the arcade charges were on the sail and sign card. I do not know if spending cash in the arcade is an option, but most likely someone else will.

Nothing major-- just small things -- henna tatoos, desserts at the specialty shops (my kids never did this, but my friend's daughter racked up charges there).

How are you doing the cabins? I would love for my DD to bring a friend with her next year on our cruise (she will be 15) but what about my son (will be 12 when we cruise next). Wouldn't be fair to him to stick him with his sister and a friend for a week (and definitely will keep my cabin for just DH and me). Definitely not bringing another 12 yo boy along!

I think I just have to have my DD keep asking her friends if their family would cruise with us.

Anyone have any other ideas?

A good idea would be to plan and pay for excursions in advance so that won't be an issue.... we did that with our girl scout cruise.... no questions on that then.... after that ... she has what she has.... 7 day cruise after excursions I would say at least $300 ... $100 would go on her S & S when she boarded for on board shopping and arcade...

I can only speak for teen boys. We had our sons friend bring $300. That covered his excursions, and whatever he bought off the ship. Everything they buy on the ship goes onto the sail and sign account. We copied that upon our return, highlighted his purchases and settled with his parents. Even the arcade charges were on the sail and sign card. I do not know if spending cash in the arcade is an option, but most likely someone else will.

Thanks!

Are you paying for her tipping (gratuity, taxi's, porters, etc.) and any meal she may need off the ship?

Yes, we'll be paying for all her tipping as well as any additional meal costs. The only thing we won't be paying for are her personal purchases, arcade, souvenirs, shopping, etc.

Nothing major-- just small things -- henna tatoos, desserts at the specialty shops (my kids never did this, but my friend's daughter racked up charges there).

How are you doing the cabins? I would love for my DD to bring a friend with her next year on our cruise (she will be 15) but what about my son (will be 12 when we cruise next). Wouldn't be fair to him to stick him with his sister and a friend for a week (and definitely will keep my cabin for just DH and me). Definitely not bringing another 12 yo boy along!

I think I just have to have my DD keep asking her friends if their family would cruise with us.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks, I forgot about the henna tatoo's.

For your situation, I'd probably just book 2 connecting cabins, one for you and your DH and the other for the other 3. They'll manage!

This is what we are doing on the Legend. They have connecting cabins up towards the bow, these are located on deck 5, 6, and 7. It is an inside and a balcony. The negative is that I've read that the balcony is very windy and almost unusable while at sea, but we'll manage.

Unfortunately, these cabins only hold 2 people each. However, my parents will also be coming along. So I'm going to book DH, myself, youngest DD, and older DD's friend in the 2 connecting cabins. Then, I'm going to book my parents and my oldest DD into another balcony room.

Older DD, her friend and youngest DD will share the interior. DH and I will have the balcony and so will my parents.

A good idea would be to plan and pay for excursions in advance so that won't be an issue.... we did that with our girl scout cruise.... no questions on that then.... after that ... she has what she has.... 7 day cruise after excursions I would say at least $300 ... $100 would go on her S & S when she boarded for on board shopping and arcade...

Good idea about the excursions. Can I put a set amount on her S&S card? I think $300 sounds good, if they want to sent more they can, but I'll ask them to send that amount.

Good idea about the excursions. Can I put a set amount on her S&S card? I think $300 sounds good, if they want to sent more they can, but I'll ask them to send that amount.

Don't forget if they send $300, and you put it all on her S & S card then she won't have anything to spend in port!

Taylor1293.....

I started the thread on the original question, but thank you, for starting this thread because now it's made me think of the Sign n Sail card issue. My three son's and this friend will be sharing a room together.....is there a way they will let me put my credit card info for my son's and let the friend have his own deposit on his? Or does everyone in the room have to share the same deposit. In other words, is the deposit of credit card (or cash) for the card per person or per room?

My understanding is you can have separate S & S cards for each person. Last summer, my son was in a room with a friend and I tied my son onto my card and then the friend had his own card. He used a credit card. Then, of course, you can do the cash deposit.

Taylor1293.....

I started the thread on the original question, but thank you, for starting this thread because now it's made me think of the Sign n Sail card issue. My three son's and this friend will be sharing a room together.....is there a way they will let me put my credit card info for my son's and let the friend have his own deposit on his? Or does everyone in the room have to share the same deposit. In other words, is the deposit of credit card (or cash) for the card per person or per room?

From the other person's post, it sounds like we will be able to put a set amount on the friend's account. Which is great news! I see you are sailing soon, have a great cruise!

My understanding is you can have separate S & S cards for each person. Last summer, my son was in a room with a friend and I tied my son onto my card and then the friend had his own card. He used a credit card. Then, of course, you can do the cash deposit.

That's great to know that they can be separated, thank you!

Archived