Xpedition Adventures

burlingtoncruiser

The Galapagos adventure sounds great! I would like to know the best time of year to go - to see the most wildlife and birds. I am especially interested in the Albatross.

When is the hottest time of year and the coolest. I have sent for the brochere from Celebrity, but I'm not sure if the answers to these questions will be there.

It sounds like a very busy time, I understand there are three levels of activity to choose from - can someone elaborate on what these consist of?

Hoping to do this in 2008 or 2009. I really would like to do it tomorrow:D .

Thanks in advance.

The uniform reaction to the Xpedition Galapagos cruise is that it is great! If you go to the thread on this main Celebrity board which it entitled:

"Xpedition . . . anyone recently back?"; you will find a wealth of information.

For a couple of quick answers; the time of year does not affect the actual air temperatures in the Galapagos. They sit astride the equator; and there is not much change. The sea currents affect water temperature and consequently what wildlife will be there, and whether or not it is the "rainy" or "dry" season; although there is never very much rain. The spring and summer constitutes the rainy season; but for exact information, go to your local library and get a good guide book like "Lonely Planet" or something similar.

The excursions are labeled "low", "medium" and "high" intenisty. Low intensity often involves mostly zodiac "cruise-bys"; with occasional landings followed by short walks. The main difference between "medium" and "high" intensity seemed to be the length and/or elevation gain of the hike. In no case did any hike cover more than 3 or 4 miles. For people with a walking problem, I would recommend skipping the high intensity. The difference in what you see is not that much. Each evening you will get a briefing on the next day's activities.

There are also several pretty thorough cruise reviews available. You can go to the "Ship Review" section of this "cruisecritic" website and click on Celebrity Xpedition. I have a fairly lengthy and detailed review of our January trip under my name; Philip M. Haggerty. You also may find reviews of different times of the year so you can check the weather comments.

On another webside: http://www.cruisereviews.com, you can find a very lengthy review with many photos.

Archived