Hotel near Frankfurt Airport

Fujimuri

We will be stopping over at Frankfurt for the night before flying home.

Since we will be arriving about 3pm and not leaving till after 3 pm the next day.

Therefore we would like to see a bit of Frankfurt on our own before flying home. Walking distances.

Also, will needed hotel suggestion: about 3*. Located near airport but will shuttle guest to town?

Thanks,

Fuji

We were put up in a hotel at the airport last fall. I'm away from home now, and can't remember the name, but it was quite good.

There is a inexpensive train from the airport to downtown Frankfurt. The ticket agent gave us instructions, but we were tired and just had dinner and folded.

I'll try to dig up the name when I get home next week.

Just as an idea from someone who used to work at Frankfurt Airport...

Heidelburg isn't far and is supposed to be worth seeing. I personally, find Frankfurt completely void of any sort of tourist appeal. It was completely flattened during WWII and just an empty, modern city.

Lufthansa runs a shuttel bus between the airport and Heidleburg. You might want to look into this as an alternative and to make more of your stay.

just a note to advise you we have started to post again on the

INFINITY 0CT 14TH... I have also posted tour info also

look forward to getting to know others going on our cruise

Tonia

I would not spend to much time in Frankfurt - the surrounding area is so much nicer and has more to see. Rudeshiem isn't to far away from Frankfurt either and is so pretty. It is on the river and the scenery if spectacular. If you are brave rent a car in the airport and drive there. It only takes about 45 minutes. My DH and I spent a week in the area a year ago. My favorite spot was Gelnhausen but it is a little remote from the airport and not as easy to get too. Have fun!

Another vote for lovely, historic Heidleberg. We stayed at a Holiday Inn there were the shuttle runs non-stop to/from the airport (but only to the main Lufthansa departure area so beware if you are flying out on Delta, for example, that you have to walk a longggggggggg distance with luggage to the check-in counters. However, there are lovely towns near the airport with some atmosphere - do a mapquest search of surrounding area. Depending on your luggage status, the train really is the best way to get around this part of Germany. Go to bahn dot de and then to international guests to find a handy research tool.

There is a sheraton that is at the airport. On departure level kust take the elevator.

Good breakfast in moring.

I'll vouch for the Sheraton if you're just looking for a quick pre-flight stay. I've spent the night there on 4 or 5 different occasions, and it is a very nice hotel as far as airport hotels go. Not quite as nice as the Sheraton at Charles de Gaulle in Paris...but still nice.

The "S" Bahn goes from the airport to downtown Frankfort. On the way there is a business hotel called the Arabella. Lyoner Str. 44 -48, 60528 (On the right). I have stayed there and it is a typical German business hotel. The Sheraton is REALLY NICE but very expensive! Also Saxenhousen is a wonderful part of Frankfort to walk around and dine in.

HTH

FF

Just a quick note on renting cars. I've done it in Germany many times and driven a lot in that country. Easy as I live about four miles from Germany lol!

The Germans drive fast but are very predicable. The worst thing on the autobaun (sp?) are those big trucks. Rest stops are clean around Frankfurt and the sign posting is good. You wont get lost and most people do make the attempt to communicate in English. It's true that there's no limit in places but people don't go entirely nuts either.

France is another story...

The train connection in Frankfurt is good. Be careful that the train does go to the Flughafen not downtown Frankfurt. It's a pain to transfer downtown and you're going well out of your way. I had to do that once when there was a problem with the trains but generally, they're reliable and clean.

I've also stayed at the Sheraton and it's nice but there's nothing to do or see around the airport. FRA is so well connected, it's not worth staying at the airport unless you're just stopping there between flights.

We regularly do what you want to do and agree with the other folks.

1. The Sheraton is so easy to get to you can actually get your luggage, put it on a luggage cart and sheel right up to check-in in only about 5 minutes from baggage claim. And yes, their luggage carts actually can be used safely on the escalators. Ingenious design.

2. We arrived in Frankfurt (city) the first time at about 11:00am. Had lunch, visited the Goethe Museum, the Opera and ate a fabulous bratwurst from a street cart...and we were done. Saw a Mainz River cruise so we took the long version (1-1/2 hours) and wound up napping as we floated past factories and junkyards.

3. The best 23+ hours was last year when we visited the lovely town of Mainz and the museum with the ORIGINAL Guttenberg Press. It is a short 20 minute train ride from Frankfurt airport. BTW, Mainz (pronounced "Mines") is also a major wine center.

Heidelburg is next on our list.

I would vote for Mainz as well. Easy to get to, charming town to stroll around in and one of the nicest dinners I have had in Germany. If you stay near the Frankfurt Airport, I would suggest the Steigenberger. Very nice hotel located in a park setting. Very nice pool/spa area and a very nice restaurant. You can also catch the shuttle (10 minutes or less driving time) to the airport train station and hop on a train into Frankfurt proper or any of the surrounding areas.

We've been to Frankfurt twice (a while ago) for two weeks each time, and have stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel and the Pullman Hotel Savigny. Both were very nice hotels. For a quick idea of what to do:

Sightseeing in Frankfurt: Romer Square, Alt Sachsenhausen, The Dom (Cathedral), Goethe's house and museum, Operaplatz, the Zeil (pedestrian shopping area), the Zoo.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber: A wonderful medieval walled city. We bought a wonderful Black Forrest clock there ( not cuckoo!). I highly recommend this very picturesque town.

Heidleburg, Rudesheim, River cruise on the Rhine. Any of these are doable for a day. And the train connections are very good and easy to manage.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Mary

Archived