Single Use Underwater Cameras

Where do you find them? I've tried Wal Mart and such and all I get is a rolling of the eyes from the clerks. Maybe because not many people in Iowa ask for them? Who knows! I can't find them anywhere to buy without shopping online.

Any recommendations on which brand? About how much do they run a piece? Thanks in advance!

My last trip I used a fuji quicksnap and was very disappointed with the resulting photos.

Prior to that, I used a kodak and got slightly better results. I mainly use them for above water photos in a wet environment. For example, climbing Dunns River Falls where I did not want my digital to go.

Underwater pictures with a disposable never come out doing justice to whatever it is you're trying to photograph. They're fun for underwater photos of your kids or spouse with mask and fins, but for sealife, forget it. The above water shots tend to come out pretty well though, so if you're swimming with the stingrays and want a shot of your cruise companion holding one out of the water, it'll do the job.

As for where to buy them in Iowa ... I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Have you tried a retailer's website (e.g. CVS, Walmart, Eckerd, etc.)

Thank you for your replies. I tried Wal Mart and Target here with no luck. I'll check Walgreens today.

We're thinking about booking the BOSS excursion in St. Thomas. Would one of these cameras work OK for taking pictures for that? I thought it'd be cool to get pictures of my fiance riding an underwater scooter and of whatever happens to swim our way.

I have used the underwater cameras before and been happy with the results. I took quite a few pictures of sunken ships, fish, us snorkeling, etc. and they are all fine. They are usually a little grainy and you get the best results if it is good and sunny so that the water is not too dark. They are great for capturing a few moments so you can remember how much fun you were having. :)

They do have them at the Super Wal-Mart here in TN for $9.98. They did not, however, have them at CVS. I have also seen them online at like Amazon.com, etc., but they are little more expensive there. Search for Kodak Sport cameras and see if you can find them.

Have fun!

We're thinking about booking the BOSS excursion in St. Thomas. Would one of these cameras work OK for taking pictures for that? I thought it'd be cool to get pictures of my fiance riding an underwater scooter and of whatever happens to swim our way.
A disposable UW camera would be ideal for this activity.

we have bought them at target and on the ship dont have to pack them adds room for the bootleg booze

Very expensive on the ship. Better to buy the cameras at home and buy the booze you want to drink on the ship thru room service and mix your own drinks in your cabin. Don't forget the blender.

I used a Fuji UW camera last year in Grand Cayman for the stingray trip. My pictures were amazing! I think I bought the camera at Target, but I am not sure. I saw the UW Kodak at Walmart this morning for about $9.00 and in Walgreens it was about $15.00,much more on the ship. I will try to get another Fuji, but if I can't I'll take the Kodak with me. DH and myself will be on the Valor,4/22/07 doing the E. Carib.,; last year we did the Western. We live in NJ and have no problems getting these cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Fuji disposable underwater camera and also have gotten great results. I used it while snorkeling at various sites and also at Stingray City. They are also good for land pictures, too, if you don't use up the entire roll of film underwater. I got mine at Ritz Camera, but they also sell them at various drugstores. It was around $10, but I've seen them on ships for almost double that!

I bought this disposible camera at Walmart for about $8.00. I live in New York state, there are no stingrays here. I took this shot on the fly with the camera completely underwater in the Caymans. It also took good pictures above the water, too.

3497%3B%3A383%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3C66%3D%3A74%3D629564b27283%3A23%3D323263533389%3Bnu0mrj

The waterproof Kodak brand is actually called a Sport camera, so if you're asking maybe that would get you further. I got 2 at our Walmart for about $9.50 each, then discovered the Fuji ones at Target for about $1.00 cheaper. We've had great results for both. They were $15.00 at the shore excursions desk on the ship.

Fuji Quicksnap Waterproof cameras are available online at Amazon and Target.com for $8.44 + shipping and at B&H Photo for $8.99 + shipping.

I would imagine that demand is pretty low in Iowa and not many people stock them! :)

Archived