Question about NCl BOA credit card and "free" cruise

squirrellee01

Just a quick question to those who have used the points and redeemed them. I noticed it said you can't use the certificates for deposits. So when you pay the deposit, then send in those certificates with final payment, are you refunded the deposit if there is a overage? Also, let's say the cruise was $700 and you send $1000 in certificates, will you get $300 back, (in the form of another certificate?) Or would you lose the $300?

THANKS!

Sheryl

When you book a cruise you are required to give a credit card for deposit.

Then you send in your certificates. In your example $1,000 in certificates for a $700 cruise. You will receive a refund to your credit card for the overage when they are posted by NCL. It usually takes 6 weeks to post to your account.

In the past any overage was forfeited and some reps will still tell you that when you call. But if you get a supervisor or are working with a NCL cruise consultant with experience, they will see that the overage is credited to your credit card. I however, just have them bump me up (category) to whatever my certificates will cover, or just pay the difference. i.e. If my cruise is $1,200 I pay with 2 certificates and $200.

I used mine with an online TA. Sent him the certificate and he checked it out and forwarded it on to NCL Sorry to say it was only $500 but that was only 2 months of spending and a lot of early Christmas shopping. I'm sure I can do better next time! :)

I've used sevral online TAs and NCL, depending on the trip.

One TA I use offers free parking in N.O. ($98 dollar value for 7 days)

One TA gives free travel insurance.

One TA gives OBC

and my NCL rep usually books me in as a platinum member (I'm only silver with 8 NCL cruises) and that gives us a free in LeBistro.

Depending on pricing, where I'm going and whether or not we're traveling with friends. (If we're going with 2 other couples, we split the parking so that's not as good a deal as other perks).

If we're doing a 12 day in Europe, the travel insurance is usually better.

etc, etc. I would suggest you use the cruise compete feature on the boards and see where the best deal for you is. That's the beaut of the NCL program. Unlike Carnival's card or Royal Caribbean, you can use it with any agency on any cruise, any time. :D :D :D

Hmmm, I may get in trouble here.

I am not as familiar with Cruise Critic as one of the other boards.

But on "the other site" (and maybe this is available on the Shop for cruises area here) there is a program called Cruise Compete. You type in your specs - region, date, type of cabin, etc. and that info goes to lots of TAs who are registered with the site. They in turn respond with a quote. The quote comes to your private email with Cruise _____, not to you directly. Good thing is no agent knows who you are and cannot call or email you to bug you.

I'm going to check out what's available here and see if they have something similar.

I'll let ya' know.

Okay, I have the answer. Cruise Compete is actually a separate website.

the other site has a tabbed link to it, but I noticed that Cruise Critic has it at the bottom of this page as one of the "sponsored links".

Try it out, you're going to get some fast quotes without any hassels.

Archived