NCL or Carnival?

Trying to decide on the July sailing aboard the Dawn out of NY or Carnival's Miracle. Also considering Carnival Triumph and Liberty out of Florida. Liked the itinerary on the Dawn, but not sure of the weather going and coming as well as the freestyle cruising. Did it once of the Princess line and it was a disaster. We are a large party of at least 10 people and wonder weather we can just go into a restaurant without a reservation every night. Also, how does dinner interfere with any shows? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks:confused:

Trying to decide on the July sailing aboard the Dawn out of NY or Carnival's Miracle. Also considering Carnival Triumph and Liberty out of Florida. Liked the itinerary on the Dawn, but not sure of the weather going and coming as well as the freestyle cruising. Did it once of the Princess line and it was a disaster. We are a large party of at least 10 people and wonder weather we can just go into a restaurant without a reservation every night. Also, how does dinner interfere with any shows? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks:confused:

There was actually a recent post on this, the Dawn vs. Miracle. The poster was tossing around several options. I'm biased, I've sailed the Dawn and loved it, but I've never sailed the Carnival Miracle so I can't compare.

First, you like the itinerary for the Dawn, but concerned about the weather. July will be hurricane season for ANY ship, so any of them could have possible weather problems.

I LOVE freestyle, and the Dawn offers so many restaurant options. If you want to be set every night you can make reservations for your party of 10 to eat in the early hours and the late hours. I think the times would be before 6:30 or after 8:00. The in between times are the busiest. You don't 'need' reservations, you would simply show up with your party of 10 for a table at most restaraunts, or maybe 5 want to eat at one rest. and 5 at another. Or some earlier and some later. Freestyle is all about flexibility.

As for dinner interfering with shows, well, you look at the Freestyle Daily to see what time a show is that you want to see and then decide to have dinner I suppose before or after. If you decide at the last minute to see a show that starts in 30 min. there are options on the Dawn to grab a quick bite instead of a sit down meal. Dinner will only interfere with a show if you decide to have dinner at a time that would make it difficult to make the show. It's all up to you.:)

Princess has 'personal choice' dining, which is similar but I don't think the same. NCL ships are designed with so many restaurants, your choice on where to dine involves more than 2 main restaurants. Some restaurants require reservations because they are smaller venues, but not a surcharge. Some have a surcharge. Of course there is the buffet or Blue Lagoon that doesn't require either reservations or surcharge. The larger ships such as the Dawn are built specifically for freestyle cruising. Of course you will always have your busiest meal times when it might be a slight wait, but most times (during the busy times) 5-15 minutes could be considered about average IF there is a wait at all.

The Dawn is a beauty! Have fun whatever you decide!

Archived