Sydney---where is better??

Brookeh424

It looks to me like the price of the rooms (right now at least) is about the same for the Marriott vs. the Holiday Inn, am I right? I've not seen the rooms of either hotel, just walked by the Holiday Inn and went inside the lobby of the Marriott. Both are outstanding locations and close to the cruise terminal. As Kaseyoz said, if your suitcases have wheels either is walkable. If the price were the same, I'd choose Marriott just on the assumption that the rooms might be a tad nicer (4* versus Holiday Inn 3*). If Holiday Inn were less money, I'd go with that one given the excellent reviews on the link you posted (it looks fine from the outside).

Personally, I'm a Priceline person but if you feel better paying more for a sure thing, then that's what you should do. No, with a Priceline booking you would not get a "free" breakfast buffet. You also don't mention how many people in the room, but Priceline guarantees bedding for 2 people. So if you've got more than 2, you run a very slight risk of not being guaranteed 2 beds. I've never had a problem getting the type of beds needed and I've used Priceline probably 75 times. But it's something that people should know prior to going for it. Also, once you buy with Priceline there is no way you can cancel or change anything, so your plans need to be 99% certain.

I believe most of the hotels will attempt to get you a room earlier than check-in time if they have something available. Many people have written that they arrive early and most state the various properties are quite accommodating. When you get to Oz you will hear everyone cheerfully say "No worries" and that's the friendly, helpful way they treat everyone.

You may want to consider where you ship is berthing. The OPT is at CQ and handles the larger ships that cannot squeeze under neath the Harbour Bridge. A lot of the smaller ships that can fit under the bridge go to Darling Harbour as the wharfage charges are cheaper.

Here is a link to the Sydney Ports cruise schedule where you can find your ship and where it is booked in for berthing.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/Cruising/CruiseSchedule.asp

Cheers

Mark

So according to this list, the Sapphire Princess is not docking on February 14, 2008. Where do you think we might board her for our cruise?

The risk is minimized if you do your homework a bit in advance. By checking at betterbidding and biddingfortravel, you find that there have only ever been two 5* hotels reported for Sydney, and the only one in the past 2(?) years has been the Marriott Sydney Harbor. The lowest winning bid I've spotted has been $137. Don't forget that the taxes and fees get added on (and with the Marriott rate direct I think they're already included. For example, our 3 night stay @ $150 per night comes to a little over $510 including everything.

The 4* choices have generally been the other Marriott (Hyde Park) and the Menzies (not for quite some time).

No, breakfast is almost never included with priceline hotels (for that price?)

With priceline, you can now try again every 24 hours (used to be every 72 hours). So, if you don't get an acceptance the first time, you can re-bid at the same price or a bit higher, if you wish, 24 hours later. It can never hurt to start early. I've gotten some winning bids at 11 months in advance.

We have used priceline for about 100 different hotel nights from California to Germany, and haven't really ever been disappointed yet. We've had great stays in London, Hamburg, Zurich, Florida, Virginia, California etc. etc. and saved an enormous amount of money. After our Alaska cruise coming up in September, we're got 8 nights booked in the SF area:D before we fly back to Europe.

OK--that pretty much sounds do-able--have thought perhaps when our ship arrives on the 19th--if we are at Old Sydney Holiday Inn--it can/will become crowed there--so perhaps the Sydney Harbour might end up the best--worst case we pay $5 for a cab--will figure that part out while seeing Sydney. Now when working online thru Priceline--will we be able to pick the cat.room?

Thanks evers so much for your information. I have it saved--will print it out

It looks to me like the price of the rooms (right now at least) is about the same for the Marriott vs. the Holiday Inn, am I right? I've not seen the rooms of either hotel, just walked by the Holiday Inn and went inside the lobby of the Marriott. Both are outstanding locations and close to the cruise terminal. As Kaseyoz said, if your suitcases have wheels either is walkable. If the price were the same, I'd choose Marriott just on the assumption that the rooms might be a tad nicer (4* versus Holiday Inn 3*). If Holiday Inn were less money, I'd go with that one given the excellent reviews on the link you posted (it looks fine from the outside).

Personally, I'm a Priceline person but if you feel better paying more for a sure thing, then that's what you should do. No, with a Priceline booking you would not get a "free" breakfast buffet. You also don't mention how many people in the room, but Priceline guarantees bedding for 2 people. So if you've got more than 2, you run a very slight risk of not being guaranteed 2 beds. I've never had a problem getting the type of beds needed and I've used Priceline probably 75 times. But it's something that people should know prior to going for it. Also, once you buy with Priceline there is no way you can cancel or change anything, so your plans need to be 99% certain.

I believe most of the hotels will attempt to get you a room earlier than check-in time if they have something available. Many people have written that they arrive early and most state the various properties are quite accommodating. When you get to Oz you will hear everyone cheerfully say "No worries" and that's the friendly, helpful way they treat everyone.

No problem we are only 2 adults--yes I also was reading TripAdvisor and alot of them DID get a room early. A now thinkning it will be much better to try for Sydney Harbour-as alot of people will be in and around the Holiday Inn mainly with them blocking off the streets on weekends for their market--so guess I have figured out which hotel to try to book.

Thanks...:D

OK--that pretty much sounds do-able--have thought perhaps when our ship arrives on the 19th--if we are at Old Sydney Holiday Inn--it can/will become crowed there--so perhaps the Sydney Harbour might end up the best--worst case we pay $5 for a cab--will figure that part out while seeing Sydney. Now when working online thru Priceline--will we be able to pick the cat.room?

Thanks evers so much for your information. I have it saved--will print it out

No, unfortunately with priceline rooms, you get whatever they give you. I've found - with probably 100 priceline room wins - a little honey works better than vinegar - as it does in most phases of life. When checking in, be pleasant, be very pleasant!! Of course, all Marriotts are now non-smoking, so no worries about getting a smoker room. Whether you get a harbour view or high floor (or not) depends on how full the hotel is and how nice the receptionist ist AND how nice you are. At least, I've found it to work that way. You may also be able to pay for an upgrade to a better category -- you might also get it for free, depending on all of the above. In London last month, we were able to buy an upgrade to the executive floor which included breakfast, free internet, evening happy-hour and a much better room. With our original priceline + Upgrade, we still paid less than 1/2 the going rate. In the St.Petersburg Hilton, I had a nice conversation with the receptionist, and she simply gave us free vouchers for the breakfast buffet. We had paid $37 per night for that stay! It's a great game and you can easily end up much farther ahead than at the gambling tables!!

No, unfortunately with priceline rooms, you get whatever they give you. I've found - with probably 100 priceline room wins - a little honey works better than vinegar - as it does in most phases of life. When checking in, be pleasant, be very pleasant!! Of course, all Marriotts are now non-smoking, so no worries about getting a smoker room. Whether you get a harbour view or high floor (or not) depends on how full the hotel is and how nice the receptionist ist AND how nice you are. At least, I've found it to work that way. You may also be able to pay for an upgrade to a better category -- you might also get it for free, depending on all of the above. In London last month, we were able to buy an upgrade to the executive floor which included breakfast, free internet, evening happy-hour and a much better room. With our original priceline + Upgrade, we still paid less than 1/2 the going rate. In the St.Petersburg Hilton, I had a nice conversation with the receptionist, and she simply gave us free vouchers for the breakfast buffet. We had paid $37 per night for that stay! It's a great game and you can easily end up much farther ahead than at the gambling tables!!

OOPS--one more question....how many times can you bid before you MUST take the offer? I assume the first bid tells you which hotel? Perhaps not?

Oh but of course being nice & friendly works alot of the time..I used to work for a newspaper & those snotty ones didn't get too far with me..well if no view--can always go in a hallway to see the ships--or just walk down to them...LOL

We have rooms booked at both of these hotels (both cancellable with no penalty of course!) for about the same rate. Could anyone recommend one of these over the other? This is kind of a once in a lifetime trip for us and I would like for it to be as nice as possible. Both hotels look like the location is very good and in close proximity to the ship terminal.

Thanks in advance!

OOPS--one more question....how many times can you bid before you MUST take the offer? I assume the first bid tells you which hotel? Perhaps not?

Oh but of course being nice & friendly works alot of the time..I used to work for a newspaper & those snotty ones didn't get too far with me..well if no view--can always go in a hallway to see the ships--or just walk down to them...LOL

I'm afraid you have no chance to accept or decline an offer. If your offer is accepted, you've got your room because you have paid for it. You cannot bid without entering your credit card information. Whether or not you show up at the hotel is of no importance -- you've paid for it and the room can remain empty for the night. There is absolutely no refund unless you've got insurance or priceline has made some mistake (which they rarely ever admit to doing). That's why it really pays to do your homework before bidding.

About how many times you can bid -- until the day of arrival, every 24 hours (and be careful that it is not one minute earlier or your 24 hour clock starts all over again) until your bid is accepted. And you will find out within about 30 seconds whether or not it has been accepted. You can bid several times on one day to avoid the 24 hours waiting period, but you have to change one of the parameters after the first time -- either the number of stars, the dates or the areas of the city. For Sydney, there are no others areas (airport area is greyed out, not biddable), there are basically only one or 2 hotels at the 4 or 5 star level, and I'm sure your dates are non-changeable (unless you have a several night stay, for which you could reduce a night at a time at either end of the stay e.g. instead of Jan. 25 - 28, you could enter Jan. 25 - 27, thereby making it an extra "free" bid. Hope I haven't confused you:eek:

I'm afraid you have no chance to accept or decline an offer. If your offer is accepted, you've got your room because you have paid for it. You cannot bid without entering your credit card information. Whether or not you show up at the hotel is of no importance -- you've paid for it and the room can remain empty for the night. There is absolutely no refund unless you've got insurance or priceline has made some mistake (which they rarely ever admit to doing). That's why it really pays to do your homework before bidding.

About how many times you can bid -- until the day of arrival, every 24 hours (and be careful that it is not one minute earlier or your 24 hour clock starts all over again) until your bid is accepted. And you will find out within about 30 seconds whether or not it has been accepted. You can bid several times on one day to avoid the 24 hours waiting period, but you have to change one of the parameters after the first time -- either the number of stars, the dates or the areas of the city. For Sydney, there are no others areas (airport area is greyed out, not biddable), there are basically only one or 2 hotels at the 4 or 5 star level, and I'm sure your dates are non-changeable (unless you have a several night stay, for which you could reduce a night at a time at either end of the stay e.g. instead of Jan. 25 - 28, you could enter Jan. 25 - 27, thereby making it an extra "free" bid. Hope I haven't confused you:eek:

Nope think I understand it--other than I just keep bidding the almost same amount til it is accepted guess I just go up or down each bid then? Maybe I will luck out the first time...:eek: Yeah I wish--so might end up up the street at the other Marriot--or over at some of the many other ones--but they must be different stars.--although I thought they might all be the same stars 4-5

So may start out low & only increase it a dollar or so at a time--each day perhaps..goodness it CAN take along time to get them--ah well if the price is cheaper it can't hurt too much then..

thanks again for all your help.

So according to this list, the Sapphire Princess is not docking on February 14, 2008. Where do you think we might board her for our cruise?

The Sapphire is not in Sydney on the 14 Feb 2008, she is in Auckland. When she does berth in Sydney it will definitely be at the OPT at Circular Quay as she is too big to go under the Harbour Bridge.

The Sapphire is not in Sydney on the 14 Feb 2008, she is in Auckland. When she does berth in Sydney it will definitely be at the OPT at Circular Quay as she is too big to go under the Harbour Bridge.

She is massive. I catch the ferry to work. When Sapphire Princess is docked we go past on the ferry and she is huge (especially looking up at her):D

Someone was asking about 4 Seasons vs Marriott. I would go for 4 Seasons. Haven't stayed at either, just going by their foyer and bar.

To the OP, Bond Street is a nice compromise - still close to Circular Quay without the big ticket.

Congratulations:D:D The next time you'll feel like a real "pro" bidding away.

How much did you get it for?

Well I paid a wee bit more than you did--I put in $135 first--then it said no & did I want to rebid right then $22 higher--so I said yes--it took it for $157 (taxes $45)--hey that works for me..its only $14 more than what you got it for but ALOT less than I had been figuring to pay..now can only hope they ask if we want to upgrade it for X amount--depending on how much we will do it--for view or lounge/food/drinks...:D if they are full--no problem--I'll go elsewhere to take pics within the hotel.

Well I paid a wee bit more than you did--I put in $135 first--then it said no & did I want to rebid right then $22 higher--so I said yes--it took it for $157 (taxes $45)--hey that works for me..its only $14 more than what you got it for but ALOT less than I had been figuring to pay..now can only hope they ask if we want to upgrade it for X amount--depending on how much we will do it--for view or lounge/food/drinks...:D if they are full--no problem--I'll go elsewhere to take pics within the hotel.

Syl,

You did great!! In other cities, where there might be zones without a 5* offering (for instance, a suburb where the everything above 3* is gray and you can't check it), you can always make a "counter-bid" to theirs (in this case $157)by using one of those zones where you know there is no possibility of getting your 5* hotel. Those are known as "free re-bids". Usually somewhere in-between your bid and their offer is where your next bid will be accepted. But, in Sydney, there are no other available zones (airport zone is already gray and you can't click it).

And, BTW, I had already been turned down for $140 and $145 on previous days. It took $150 + taxes and fees to get it, so you didn't overpay by much at all.

For our last 2 nights in Sydney, I bid $135 for 4* and got the other Marriott. I wanted to try that one too.

Funny, you'll be getting off Mercury in Auckland on the day we'll be getting on. See you at the pier! How long will you be staying in NZ? I'm looking into a nice apt. hotel in the center of the city for our 1 week stay and I'll report after I've gotten a reply from them. Looks to be beautifully furnished and is very reasonable AND has a washing machine in the apt.:D

Gads that is ALOT less than what I'd have to pay--but what happens if you get a hotel you don't want?
Normally, Priceline bidding is only good for you if you don't mind that you won't know which hotel you've already paid for, because (as you've seen) you are only told which hotel if your bid is successful, by which time the money has already been taken.

The Sydney Harbour Marriott is one of the less risky Priceline buys in the whole world, because other 5* hotels accept Priceline bids very, very seldom. So when you bid for a 5* in Sydney, you can have a reasonable level of confidence that you will either get the Sydney Harbour Marriott or nothing. And many people think that the small risk that you might be unlucky and get something else is worth running for the amount of money that you can save.

Congrats on the success!

Normally, Priceline bidding is only good for you if you don't mind that you won't know which hotel you've already paid for, because (as you've seen) you are only told which hotel if your bid is successful, by which time the money has already been taken.

The Sydney Harbour Marriott is one of the less risky Priceline buys in the whole world, because other 5* hotels accept Priceline bids very, very seldom. So when you bid for a 5* in Sydney, you can have a reasonable level of confidence that you will either get the Sydney Harbour Marriott or nothing. And many people think that the small risk that you might be unlucky and get something else is worth running for the amount of money that you can save.

Congrats on the success!

OK...now can I MOVE Sydney Harbour Hotel to Auckland :D Will look at all the hotels in 4 stars in AKL & see if I am willing to have any/all of them..--they are all sure alot cheaper---well there are a couple higher ones mixed in with the 4's tho.(which makes it difficult for those 2 or so) I'm browsing around to see if anyone mentions any good ones & if anyone mentions Priceline.

Syl,

You did great!! In other cities, where there might be zones without a 5* offering (for instance, a suburb where the everything above 3* is gray and you can't check it), you can always make a "counter-bid" to theirs (in this case $157)by using one of those zones where you know there is no possibility of getting your 5* hotel. Those are known as "free re-bids". Usually somewhere in-between your bid and their offer is where your next bid will be accepted. But, in Sydney, there are no other available zones (airport zone is already gray and you can't click it).

And, BTW, I had already been turned down for $140 and $145 on previous days. It took $150 + taxes and fees to get it, so you didn't overpay by much at all.

For our last 2 nights in Sydney, I bid $135 for 4* and got the other Marriott. I wanted to try that one too.

Funny, you'll be getting off Mercury in Auckland on the day we'll be getting on. See you at the pier! How long will you be staying in NZ? I'm looking into a nice apt. hotel in the center of the city for our 1 week stay and I'll report after I've gotten a reply from them. Looks to be beautifully furnished and is very reasonable AND has a washing machine in the apt.:D

Sorry, I tried to answer last night (well early this a.m.) but CC wasn't coming up very well--I think they must work on it after 1am. We are only spending 2 nights in AKL

Unless things have changed since this morning, Priceline doesn't have any "name your own price" options for Auckland. They have regular hotel offerings, but I haven't found them to be any cheaper than any other internet site. A search at kayak and then checking against the tripadvisor ratings usually works pretty well. I just booked our 4* apt. (#6 at Tripadvisor) for a good price of $77 per night for our 9 night stay. Booked directly with the hotel/apt. management. If you find a hotel you like, you might want to check the prices directly with the chain i.e. Crowne Plaza (ichotels) etc. Sometimes those are the best deals.

Keep one thing in mind if you book the Park Hyatt in Sydney. With it's location right on the harbour, you will enjoy the endless foghorn that blasts out across the harbour early in the morning till 8 or 9 when it clears. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Riding past the hotel last week there were ALOT of early risers with the horn blowing.

I'd go for Darling Harbour myself. While it's not close to Circular Quay it's still within walking distance and the busiest part of the city (between George st, Pitt st, Market st, and Park st) and is a short walk across the pyrmont bridge (the bridge that runs from one side of Darling Harbour to the other) or you can just take the monorail.

The CBD of Sydney isn't big. Everything is within a walkable distance. So I guess unless you plan on spending alot of time looking out your hotel room window, your spending too much staying near the Quay.

Terry

Hi guys,

noticed most of you try priceline. Have you ever tried hotelclub.com??

It has lots of hotels in Sydney that are available...look in the circular quay, darling harbour, rocks and city areas. They have some 4 star hotels for $117.00 per night (USD), available in Jan 2008. Having to travel up from Melbourne, I find that those 4 areas are all central.

I have at one time, stayed in a five star, right under the bridge on the water, for $130 pn. (these prices are room rates not per person).

They also cover New Zealand hotels...anywhere in the world!! Plus...the more you use them, the more points you collect.

Kaz

Hey, I just tried the HotelClub. Looks like I can get The Rendevouz Hotel in Auckland for $155.00 (including tax) per room per night (3 rooms required) I had previously booked with them (no money has exchanged hands) at $170.00 (plus tax) so I'm jumping on it.

Just out of curiosity, I tried the Marriott Harbor in Sydney, which I have already booked with Priceline, and the quote received was "on request." There are just too many hoops to jump through to get a firm offer.

Ralph

Seems as though I was so anxious to save a few bucks that I failed to understand that the price quoted by HotelClub were in USD where my direct reservations with Rendevouz are in NZD. Makes a BIG difference. I'll stick with what I have.

Ralph

Archived