Safes? Number keyed or card strip?

Greselda

My DH and I have sailed on Carnival (our favorite:D ); Princess; RCCL; and Celebrity and we have always had the safe in our cabin require a 4 digit number in order to open.

We are now reading where a pax now needs some type of a card with a magnetic strip to use on these safes in order to use them:(

Is that true, and if so is it true on all lines or just a couple?

Thanks for any input:D

Richard and Janine

Thanks for all the input:p

We will be on a b2b in January 2008, however, we will actually be on the Miracle for 8 days and then the Liberty for the next 8 days.....we are really excited:D

Does anyone know which type of safe these two ships use?

Thanks again!

Rick and Janine:)

Thanks for all the input:p

We will be on a b2b in January 2008, however, we will actually be on the Miracle for 8 days and then the Liberty for the next 8 days.....we are really excited:D

Does anyone know which type of safe these two ships use?

Thanks again!

Rick and Janine:)

The Liberty uses a magnetic striped card, you can use anything with the magnetic encoded strip on the back, my drivers license has one and works fine...

Take it from someone who did this.......

Hubby had gone out for a few minutes while I was checking out our room (very first cruise). I found the safe and the only directions on the outside said to use a card with a magnetic strip. So.......I'm thinking......my S/S card has a magnetic strip. I'll just use that. VERY BAD MOVE. :eek: It opened the safe all right.......IT ALSO DE-MAGNETIZED MY S/S CARD NECESSITATING A TRIP TO THE PURSER TO ACQUIRE A BRAND NEW ONE AND HAVING TO HAVE THE SAFE RE-SET. :o

What was most annoying was that the directions that specifically told you NOT to use your S/S card........ WERE LOCKED INSIDE THE SAFE!!!!! :confused: :( :mad:

This happened on the Carnival Fascination.

Question: So does the inital magnetic strip card you use to open the safe become the only one that opens it? Or can anyone with a magnetic card open the safe? :eek:

The card that is used to lock the safe is the card that opens it. The only other way to open it is the ship's master at arms I believe.

The Miracle and the Inspiration both have magnetic card readers. Any card will work bt don't use your S&S or a credit card. Use a blank/used gift card or your DL.

CIMG1552-vi.jpg

IMG_5685-vi.jpg

The card that is used to lock the safe is the card that opens it. The only other way to open it is the ship's master at arms I believe.

The Miracle and the Inspiration both have magnetic card readers. Any card will work bt don't use your S&S or a credit card. Use a blank/used gift card or your DL.

Thank you so much for the information. I feel a little more "secure" now! :D

Archived