Transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia

jougee

We are arriving at FCO at 7:58am, I want to be on the ship by 4pm.

• We would like to take a train from FCO to Civitavecchia. Could anybody kindly tell us how long would it take?
  • Also which train (name, number and terminal) to take? We have a 10 year old child with us and some luggages.
  • Is there any transfer or direct train?
  • Upon arrival to Civitavecchia is there a shuttle from terminal to the port?
  • We would like to have a clear cut direction so we do not get lost.
  • Upon our return we will be going to Vaitcan City. What is the best and most inexpensive way to get there as we are staying at one of the hotels nearby?
  • Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks a million in advance for the information.

Briefly, try your airport site for information on connections to Rome (we fly into a different airport, so I can’t give you any information on your airport into Rome).

Fiumicino airport is around an hour away from central Rome and the Termini station: I wonder if this the airport you’ll be arriving at? If so, there are connections to Termini.

The train to Civitavecchia goes from the ‘Termini’ station. Much information about the journey is on the ‘www.trenitalia.it’ web site.

The journey from Termini station to Civitavecchia takes around an hour and costs around 5 Euros. The trains are very punctual and are air-conditioned.

The station in Civitavecchia is around a ten – 15 minute walk from the port. Exit the station (you’ll be on a sea front road) and turn right. Keep on walking (with the sea on your left) and you’ll come to the port. Many passengers use the station, so you’ll probably come across other passengers travelling on the same train.

To get to the Vatican City from Civitavecchia, just do the journey in reverse, and once at Termini, take the metro train on Line A to the Vatican.

Many Cruise Critic members suggest hiring a car and driver for the trip, or using Celebrity’s transfer, but we thought both options dear, compared to the fun and experience of taking the train. The Italian roads often clog up and the journey can take much longer by road. On the other hand, if there are three of you, you may want to consider a car (but not nearly as much fun).

Just one little point: the Termini station is huge. It took us 15 minutes to walk to the platform for our airport connection, so do leave plenty of time on any journeys through Termini.

I hope this helps a little. It is a good idea to print off some information from the web to take with you, so if you are not quite sure what/where you are, you can always point at your information and smile sweetly!

We sailed from Civit last year. There is a train station, it is not too far from the port gate (10 minutes walk?) and there is a port bus. You would have to get to Termini in Rome (I don't know whether there is a direct train) and then Rome to Civit. For us it worked very well coming home (although I remember we had a very long walk in Termini station) and was inexpensive. However, we met a family who had spent ages and walked miles trying to find the ship from the port gate as the port is absolutely huge. Personally, I would take a cab and so have a good start to the vacation.

Train sounds very appealing and is less expensive than options.

It is, however, a place where you would want to be VERY careful. When I got off cruise in mid-2005, we were warned of risks of public transport. So, most of us opted for bus to deliver us to hotels in Rome. One couple took the train and lost money/passports/etc....and never knew it until time to leave train. A certified pain for them...but US Embassy was very responsive.

Afraid riding the local underground carries similar risks.

A slight level of paranoia and the proper carrying of valuables is simply advice the locals give out freely.

You are arriving at the main airport, correct? Well, it is about a 30 minute drive to the port on a good road . The airport is roughly midway between Rome and the port. There might be a train from airport to port but it seems from other posts that you might be considering going all the way into Rome and then going all the way back to the coast. That is certainly one way to spend your day but would suggest you reconsider, especially if coming off an overseas flight. There is an excellent driver named Stephano who I have used three times and whose services I first learned of on these boards. He and his drivers were prompt and not expensive.

Archived