X'ers - Recos on active Key West activities -that board is quiet

the2006Junket

Hi everyone,

We're sailing on the Century on 4/16/07 and we stop in Key West. I'm traveling with my DH and sons, ages 18,14 and 7 (tho it'd be nice to shop then pub crawl :D we're trying to keep the boys out of bars for as long as possible!). We're looking for an adventurous activity for the family. We've been to KW before when on our first family cruise with Carnival, so we've wandered the town, seen Hemingway's house, southernmost point, Ripley's etc.

Has anyone done kayaking or Lloyd's Bike Tour? Anyone else have ideas for fun activities for teens or families?

I have posted and been searching the CC Key West board...verrrry quiet so I thought I'd see if recent Century cruisers have any ideas.

Many thanks,

Lynne

My husband has gone kayaking in Key West several times and loves it. Our daughter usually buys him a 4 hour guided trip for his Christmas gift, which runs somewhere around $30 - $35. She uses Lazy Dog (Company) on Stock Island, which is just off the entrance to Key West on North Roosevelt Ave, the opposite side of the island from the Mallory Square and pier areas. But since the island measures about 2 miles by 4 miles (approximately), getting there by taxi is easily accessible and shouldn't be expensive.

There are different packages to choose from, with or without a guide, yet I believe there is free time to do your own roaming. The guides talk a bit about the ecology and point out sea cucumbers, star fish, etc. My husband especially enjoys the peacefulness of going through the mangroves. Since I love the water only up to my ankles, I prefer to stay home and spend time with my grandchildren.

Have fun,

Mary

Parasailing is considerably less expensive on Key West, particularly if you book on line for an early outing. Unfortunately for us, it was too windy so our trip got cancelled with Seabago, even though we saw others out doing it. Since it meant lost $$ for them -- all prepaid -- I have to assume that they are the most careful about safety. I think I would choose them again for that very reason.

Archived