Century Review Pt. 2 3/19 to 3/24 LONG

ScottieLuvr

PASSENGERS: Quite a mix, however, there were a LOT of families, and more children than I've ever seen on a Celebrity cruise. Also, lots of Spring breakers. There were a few isolated children who ran amok at times, but in most instances the kids were well behaved, and so were the college kids. There is a huge difference in being in the presence of young people and in the presence of ill behaved or mannered young people. There were alot of seniors onboard, many of which were using wheelchairs and walkers. But the majority of the passengers were couples, from their 20's up to 60's, straight and gay. Remember, this was a 5-day Spring break cruise to be had at a reasonable price, so of course, the demographics will be somewhat different. I will say that with few exception, everyone adhered to the dress codes and actually paid attention during the muster drill. In fact, during formal night, I was quite pleased to see the younger people onboard dressed to the nines and, in fact, saw a few young men in tuxes. How nice was that!

SERVICE: Generally very good, as per Celebrity. I say you treat people as you wish to be treated. Of special note: the officers on this ship are marvelous, attentive, visible and caring. Capt. Mitropolis was everywhere, as was the hotel manager, who actually walked around on deck during sea days asking everyone if they are enjoying themselves! As for the buffet servers (who have a notoriously bad reputation), pool personnel, maintenence workers, etc., most acknowledged us and were quite pleasant. But if they don't, it sure doesn't hurt to speak to them. They are not our personal servants.

ENTERTAINMENT: Overall, I thought it was good. We went to the song and dance show in the theatre and thought it was weak. The comedian, Louis Johnson, was a riot. I must say the build up for "Jaimaca's #1 comedienne-MATILDA!!!" was ridiculous, all the way down to the full-page ad in the daily. Imagine my surprise (and most others') to find out it's a ventriloquist act! I mean, I appreciated the excellent artistry of the man, but Matilda was just not funny, at least not to me. The lounge acts were pretty good, I especially liked the house band, Synergy. The female singer has a great voice. There were the usual pool games, name that tune sessions and bingo jackpot. Curiously, I did not see the newlywed, not-so-newlywed game on the TV or a cruise in review video on the TV. We attended a food and wine pairing, which was held in the dining room and was attended by 187 people. Basically, you tested two white and two reds with a variety of food bites. I really learned how the right wine can be enhanced by paring it with the right food and visa versa.

The cruise director is Dru Pavlov, and he is excellent. Very high energy without being manic, visible, and extremely personable. I chatted with him at the Captain's Club party and mentioned these boards, saying after reading comments about him, I was looking forward to being onboard Century. He was sheepish, and said he quit reading the boards because he was frightened by some of the comments about him. I don't remember negative comments.

LOUNGES: They are all very nice, but I really liked the Crystal Room and the Martini Bar. The Martini bar is just plain cool...with white leather/fabric furniture, a ceiling of hanging glass tiles which change colors, and a bar top made of ice. I cannot remember his name, but the bartender is very funny. The martinis are sooo good. I got the sampler, which consists of six mini martinis on a very cool icy platter. Each was better than the other! The lighting is subdued and the music is very hip soft jazz and Latin. For a really intimate feel, check out Michael's Club. The cigar smoke is long gone and what remains is a very comfortable, quiet piano bar, with cushy leather seating and low lights, far removed from the crowds.

SHOPPING: Not as much as I'd like, but there is a logo shop, sundries, liquor/cigarette store, boutique, jewelry, perfume and makeup. There is also a higher end jewelry store. There are good deals, especially on cigarettes and liquor.

PORTS: Key West is a laid back, fun town. There were tons of people there that day, so the atmosphere was party-like. We just walked around. soaked up the sun and enjoyed ourselves. Grand Cayman is always wonderful, with great shopping, friendly people and of course, beautiful Seven Mile Beach. We did the cruise, sightseeing and Seven Mile beach break tour and it was so nice. The weather was overcast and it had rained early in the AM, but it cleared up midmorning and was sunny and hot by Noon. In fact, the Stingray City and catamaran tours cancelled because of inclement weather in the north sound.

RESCUE AT SEA: First of all, the staff did an excellent job communicating with the passengers and keeping us informed. Apparently, 12 Cuban refugees had gotten into trouble at sea and were floating around in a small boat somewhere between Cuba and Grand Cayman. After announcing what was going to happen, the ship was turned completely around and halted while the refugees were brought aboard. We never saw them, but the U.S. Coast Guard picked them up a few days later. DH and I had a birds-eye view because this all took place aft!

OK, MY SHORT LIST OF BESTS/FAVORITES:

1. The aft balcony.

2. Slipping between the smooth, cool sheets after a long day.

3. Passion Fruit Sherbet.

4. The fluffy towels.

5. Prime Rib.

6. Lamb Shank.

7. Aqua Spa Cafe.

8. Martini Bar.

9. The library for some peace and quiet.

10. Sipping wine on the balcony as the world slips by.

11. Deep inky blue water and turquoise whitecaps.

Nothing beats a cruise. Do not hesitate to book Century. If you have any questions, ask away.

Cathy

Brianne: Aqua Spa is so nice. Try to take the time to take the spa tour right after you board. It is located on Deck 11, Aft. There are several treatment rooms, both inside and overlooking the sea, and a relaxation room which overlooks the ship's wake. As you may know, the thalassotherapy pool was removed and Persian Garden was added. I did not use it, but it's three or four shower areas with different sensory experiences in each one. They are not traditional showers (i.e., you're butt naked and behind a glass door or shower curtain), but have tiled walls. For example, you walk into one shower and it's aromatherapy with lavender verbena scented shower spray. I used the fitness center every day and attended two classes. The fitness center has lifetime hydraulic equipment, recumbents, steppers, treadmils and regular bikes. All facing the wake. There is a free weight area and small aerobics area. On my five day trip, free classes were: stretch and relax, step aerobics and 10.00 classes were yoga, pilates and spinning. The actual shower area in the spa is great-they have those huge rainfall-like shower heads and spa-quality shampoo and body gel you can use. There are separate beauty shop and barber facilities within the Spa. Finally, Aqua Spa Cafe is there with a very nice small wicker seating area. Neither Aqua Spa or any of its facilities were ever busy on my cruise. Check out the 20-20-20 minute spa sampler for $99.00 which is offered on port days.

Minor correction as to the location of the spa and gym on Century -- it's actually in the bow of Deck 11, so the bikes, steppers and treadmills face forward (not the wake).

The Sunset Bar is on Deck 11 aft, with the view of the wake.

Brianne: Aqua Spa is so nice. Try to take the time to take the spa tour right after you board. It is located on Deck 11, Aft. There are several treatment rooms, both inside and overlooking the sea, and a relaxation room which overlooks the ship's wake. As you may know, the thalassotherapy pool was removed and Persian Garden was added. I did not use it, but it's three or four shower areas with different sensory experiences in each one. They are not traditional showers (i.e., you're butt naked and behind a glass door or shower curtain), but have tiled walls.... For example, you walk into one shower and it's aromatherapy with lavender verbena scented shower spray.

What was the cost for using the Persian Garden - per day/per wk? Is there any privacy in the shower areas, or just out in the open, public style?

Thank you for the correction on Aqua Spa being in at the bow of the ship! I do not know the cost of the Persian Garden but I'm sure if you call Celebrity they will tell you. The sensory showers are "open" but when you are acutally in one of the showers you are behind a tiled wall, so I guess you are afforded some privacy in them.

Cathy

Cristaljoy: Where on Century does you sister work? There have been some negative comments about the service and friendliness of Century's crew, but I think they are a great group of people! Again, people tend to treat people they way they are treated, right? I mean, how hard is it to give a smile and kind word to a person who's obviously having a bad day?

Cathy

Cristaljoy: Where on Century does you sister work? There have been some negative comments about the service and friendliness of Century's crew, but I think they are a great group of people! Again, people tend to treat people they way they are treated, right? I mean, how hard is it to give a smile and kind word to a person who's obviously having a bad day?

Cathy

hi cathy!

my sister works in the spa as a hairdresser; she's only been there 3 weeks, she was transferred from the constellation

she's told me it's a bit hectic for the crew right now because they are hosting such short cruises that make for high passenger turn over, with little chance to get to know their guests

i work in the service industry too so maybe i have a soft spot for the crew... but i've never had anything but good things to say about the service on the cruises i've been on.

i hope my sister doesn't read these boards because our visit is a surprise and i don't want to spoil it!

cristaljoy - Do you want to share your sister's name? I'd be happy to say hello to her next week without letting on to your surprise! I usually go to the salon for an up-do on formal night and at least one manicure, so I just may see her!

Jim - I'll be scouting out the Aqua-spa on Monday so I'll let you know the exact location.

cristaljoy - Do you want to share your sister's name? I'd be happy to say hello to her next week without letting on to your surprise! I usually go to the salon for an up-do on formal night and at least one manicure, so I just may see her!

sure!

her name is mary and we're originally from long island too!

i was her hair model when she interviewed for the job in new jersey, right over the bridge, and she gave me a "perfect" updo, in the words of her recruiter.... so i hope you do see her!

she knows i'm always looking up cruises and posting questions, so she won't catch on, i don't think

that is so nice of you! enjoy your cruise!

Archived