Give it to me straight........The Majesty

BriarRose

New to the NCL board, DH wants to take the Majesty in Dec. I am not too sure. Can anyone give me the good, the bad and the ugly about this ship. We have a 7 yr. old so we are also interested in the kids program. Any help would be appreciated.

I've been on the Majesty 2x. I loved it both times. It's one of NCL's smaller ships, but I think that's what makes it special. I'd have no hesitation taking another trip on the Majesty.

I haven't used the Kids program, so I can't help you on that one.

Most of the recent reviews of the Norwegian Majesty have been very favorable - with the exception of the past two - which appear to be less than acceptable due to the excess amount of Spring Breakers aboard! Hopefully that is past! My wife, two sons and myself are leaving next week for a week aboard her. From everything I have been reading she appears to be a very nice ship and a very good value.

If you can live without all of the 'fluff' found on her larger, newer fleetmates such as row upon row of balconies, huge atriums and rock climbing walls, then this may be the ship for you. I know this is one of the major reasons we selected this ship!

I've been on the Majesty twice and it's a nice older small ship. The last cruise was a 13 day repositioning. My only complaint was lack of seating in the buffet area.

True. But this can be gotten around by carrying your tray down one flight of stairs (or taking the elevator) to the lounge that's just below the buffet seating area. We always found plenty of empty tables there.

We've taken Majesty to Bermuda the past two Septembers and just might do it again this September, as rumors are she will no longer do the Boston-Bermuda run in 2008. She's not a megaship but is very comfortable and the crew is great.

i have comments elsewhere and I was on a spring break cruise (which personally i found to be fun even though I am--well they say I am--middle aged. Being smaller there might not be a lot of youngsters, there weren't on mine but my nephew last year had a ball with the kids club on the Maj--he was 15-16. It's not flashy as someone noted, not a party barge or disney afloat, so it may depend on the child--does he make friends easily, is he OK with down time, etc. Very safe place to let a child be on his own IMO.

You'll find many who have cruised the Majesty quite a few times, and for good reason. She's a great ship. I've been on both the Majesty and Dawn, and there is no comparison, they are two different experiences all together. The Majesty may be older and smaller, but there's something very unique and comfortable about her. There aren't as many restaurant choices as it wasn't built for freestyle, but that just means you have less decisions to make on where to eat.:p And the crew is the best at sea!

I was scheduled for the Majesty Dec '06 and it broke down coming back to port prior to my voyage so my cruise was cancelled. This was out of Charleston and there was an article in the Charleston newspaper a week later about how the ship has been limping along lately and this particular travel agency was going to halt booking on it until they fixed it right.

I'll be taking my 7th Majesty cruise in June. I can't say enough good things about the ship. I'm really going to miss her. This is my chance to sail her one last time. It's a great older ship. The crew has always been outstanding! I think you'll have a great time.

I cruised on the Majesty last August for the first time and am going again this September. I love that ship and it's wonderful crew.

What I would suggest is for you to do a search of all threads about the Majesty and look through them. You will learn EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know about her there. That's what I did and I was well prepared for my first cruise.

Can someone who has been on the Majesty tell me about the dining situation.

Is it easy to get a table for 2? I know on the Crown the tables for 2 were practically attached to tables for 4 so it felt like a table for 6.

Thanks for any info.

The majesty is a more modest cruising experience, not much glitz and faux glamor, she is understated and charming. If you are in love with big atriums, and multi-level show lounges, this ship may not be for you. We enjoyed the shows very much and appreciated the hard work of the performers given such a small stage, they were truly talented.

You will need to realize as others have said, that this ship was not made for freestyle, and timing is everything with dining. We ate around 6 every night and no wait. The dining options include the Four Seasons (smaller intimate dining room) with many tables for 2, and they were not crammed near tables for 4, and the Seven Seas (more traditional cruise ship dining room, larger) these both served the same menu. Le bistro served a french continental menu, with generous servings, we really enjoyed this venu. Lebistro can be had for half price ($7.50) when you make a 5:30 or 6:00 reservation. There was also the pasta cafe no surcharge, food was ok here and the menu changes daily, this was also reservation only. The buffet was open for breakfast lunch and dinner, and snacks, the buffet was the dining weak point, but if you are looking for a salad, fresh fruit, or something light, this will work for you, there were also deli, and pasta stations outside. There was also the 24hr. grill at the back of the ship, they served burgers, grilled chicken, and pizza, this is also where they held BBQs with huge weber grills, very good.

The majesty really won a special place in my heart, it was by far the smallest oldest ship I had ever been on, but the crew was outstanding, always a smile and a friendly hello, I am glad I had the chance to sail on her.

MAC

We have been on the Majesty 2 times (Boston to Bermuda) with our kids. We have only sailed NCL with our kids and will take our 4 and 5th NCL cruises this year.

They were 9 and 6 when they first went on the ship. They liked the Majesty and loved Kids Crew. We liked the Majesty and found it to be comfortable and enjoyable. My wife and I have been on bigger ships and different lines (although most over 10 years ago) but the Majesty offered a relaxing family cruise. Bermuda for 3 plus days was a big plus!

Last year we took our kids on the Spirit and they were blown away by the size of the ship. This year we are going on the Dawn.

I asked my son (now 12) and daughter (now 8) if they wanted to go back on the Majesty and both said that they liked Kids Crew but like to be on a bigger ships.

We liked our Majesty cruises. Leaving from Boston was a great perk for us as well.

BriarRose, if you son has not been on the big, glitzy ships with lots of ammenities, he will have a great time. If he has cruised before, it may be an adjustment at first but I am sure he will enjoy the trip.

Can someone who has been on the Majesty tell me about the dining situation.

Is it easy to get a table for 2? I know on the Crown the tables for 2 were practically attached to tables for 4 so it felt like a table for 6.

Thanks for any info.

Very easy to get a table for 2, just ask. When my hubby and I sailed, we are mid to late diners. 7:30 or so depending on what we'd done that day and never had a wait anywhere. We'd met some people so a few nights we had a table for 4 and then some more friends we'd met were added and on the last night we had a table for 10. For us, we enjoyed the restaurant more in the middle of the ship. I can't remember which one that was.:confused: It seemed smaller and more quaint as opposed to the main restaurant in the aft. The one in the aft seemed larger and seemed to have more noise from the engine. And the italian restaurant (no surcharge but have to make reservations) was wonderful.

We'll be taking the Majesty back to Bermuda again (3rd time) in June. Even though the ship is smaller and showing her age some, there is a certain charm about her. :)

The only other cruises we have taken have been on Disney and comparing the 2 is like comparing apples to oranges. I happen to love both :D ! (And leaving from Boston is soooo convenient for us!)

Archived