Who has been to Belize before?

We have been there twice now. We aren't scuba divers, but my parents are. They said it was awesome for scuba. We took a tour of the Belize Zoo, which wasn't really worth the time. Another trip we went to a wildlife sanctuary for some type of monkey. That was more interesting.

Overall, it was a place that I would be afraid to venture out on my own, without a guided tour. Not too exciting in regard to shopping, but if you like to haggle with locals there was plenty of crafts.

We were there about a year ago.

Took a interesting tour to the Ruins (Incan, I believe).

The bus will take you to a "Hand Powered Ferry"; once across the river, a van will drive you part way to the ruins.

Then, it is an up hill walk to the Ruins. Not too bad of a walk.

We didn't spend too much time in the city. So, can not give you any info.

Its in the lower half of my preferred ports. I would recommend an excursion that appeals to you. First time did a snorkle trip to Sting Ray Ally, real nice and then we stopped at a small village. Last time we did a guided tour of city, only so-so. I agree with previous post, not a place to explore on your own. Shopping not very impressive either.

Been 3 times....not much too see or walk around and look at. There is an open air market area just past the shops on the dock. However, even the locals warned us not to stray far from the vendor shops. They are very friendly there. There is a place I always buy my supply of hotsauce (made on the island) from. It is a GREAT place to dive (in my husbands opinion). I would recommend an excursion here or stay close to the pier. We have done the Cave tubing which was quite fun, and then walked the shop area the other times while husband dove. You can get relatively cheap souv's there. They are well known for their cashew wine! (not to my liking though) Have a Great time!!:p

I was just in Belize at the beginning of the month. Typical dirty town reminded me of a dirty Mexico city. I do however highly recommend going out to Caulker Caye! Very nice ride out there, nice little island and the snorkeling out at the reef was the best. Saw dolphins, eels, stingrays, nurse sharks, our boat captain said Manatees are all around the island.

Had lunch at a nice little place and did some shopping on the island. Can't wait to go back.

What do you think of it?

We LOVE Belize! We were there in February and did the coolest excursion to the Lamanai ruins. This involved a one-hour bus ride into the country's interior, and then a 45-minute ride down the Belize River to the ruins (you can't get to them by car). Our guides told us so much about the culture, the rainforest, we saw all kinds of exotic animals (including "baboons" which are actually howler monkeys). We found the people of Belize to be generous of spirit, and really funny and warm!

Don't be fooled by those who never made it past the pier (the one of you that said "typical dirty town", what a snobbish and rude thing to say!). We plan to return for a vacation and simply can't wait to adventure through the rest of this beautiful, safe and friendly country!

Yes there are very beautiful parts to Belize....but unsafe areas as well. Which I expect would be the rule for many ports visited. We told our guide we were going to walk around, and he did caution us strongly not to stray too far into the housing areas. EVERY person we encountered was very friendly!:) It is a great island to pick an excursion to experience. There just isn't alot to do walking around...nor are there a ton of restaurants that you will find among other ports of call. It is on the smaller side, but still a wonderful place to visit.

Twice we've done a tour through the mangroves. It's very relaxing, and the guides are very knowledgable about the ecosystem. At the end of the tour your boat goes into high gear and flies across the bay back to to the pier. We really loved it, especially this last time in January. Our guide was Liz, and she really made it all come alive for us.

We were there three years ago and as they say--ignorance is bliss. We walked all over the town and met many nice people. We saw school children out playing , we visited the oldest Anglican church in that area and talked to a delightful woman about the history of the church.

Yes it is a very poor area, but I will be honest, I felt safer there than I did in some parts of Jamaica

I also buy tons of hotsauce from them as well, (my son loves it) and since it is not on my coming itinerary...I am broken hearted:(

Hey BANKONUS... If you are referring to Marie Sharps Belizian Heat, It's my wife's and my favorite Hot Sauce. I use it on everything, from Pizza to Pasta, to Chicken and Rice.

No need to be broken hearted....You can get Belize Hot Sauces at the following store (along with thousands of others). We order them 5 & 6 bottles at a time to save on shipping.

http://www.peppers.com

If you are ever in Rehobeth Beach, Delaware they have a store there too.

Scott

Hey BANKONUS... If you are referring to Marie Sharps Belizian Heat, It's my wife's and my favorite Hot Sauce. I use it on everything, from Pizza to Pasta, to Chicken and Rice.

No need to be broken hearted....You can get Belize Hot Sauces at the following store (along with thousands of others). We order them 5 & 6 bottles at a time to save on shipping.

www.peppers.com

If you are ever in Rehobeth Beach, Delaware they have a store there too.

Scott

That is the sauce!! We love it! I think my husband looked it up on the internet as well...but it's not the same as getting it there. I have no choice but to order it online though as the last drops are in the bottle. Thanks for the website!! Happy Eating:D

I did the shark/ray alley snorkle with beach, OMG it was so great. We snorkled along the reefs and the guide caught a baby nurse shark and let us hold it and he would take a photo with our cameras, he caught lots of little sea critters and let us see them and if safe, he let anyone that wanted to handle it. He chummed the waters, while we were in the boat, to bring on the sharks, so we saw them from the safety of the boat. Then he chummed for the rays, these are not like the ones at Grand Cayman, these are really wild, they are amazing to watch. They interact a little but not much, they do with him because they know him from his coming all the time to feed them. We also got to see some manatees.

We did cave tubing thru an independent company...enjoyed the ride thru the scenic countryside, and the caves (and the "dot com" guides!) were wonderful.

Didn't see much in town I'd want to explore, but I didn't spend any time meeting the people. As you said, every city has its good and bad areas!

DW and I think it'd be fun to go back!

we did the cave tube thing.

it was a good trip but. the bus trip was long from the port and you tenner 8 miles out so that was long as well.

there was 3 ships in at that time as i remember it, all along good time was had, and there was a roast chicken lunch after it.

Only thing bad about it was it took way too long about 1 hr bus ride each way and a 40 min or so trec through the jungle carrying your tube till you came to the water where you jump in. other then that it was worth the adventure.

cheers from beers...:D

We didn't get to see much of Belize ashore, our tour took us out on the ocean. We went to a place called Rendezvouz Cay for a snorkle trip and it took most of the time we were in port. The snorkeling there was amazing with some of the largest old growth coral we have had the pleasure to swim over. There was a large diversity of fish also. I would love a chance to go back there again. Our tour returned us directly to the ship and left early in the morning from the dock ashore so we didn't get to see much of the city other than the shops at the dock.

We've only been once and had decided to be cheap and do the city tour. Not at all worth it! The people were very friendly, but the area was a bit questionable. The water here is GORGEOUS so I'd recommend a water featured excursion. Our friends went swimming with the nurse sharks and still talk about how awesome it was.

I'd definitely recommend the zip-line tour. While I haven't actually done the one in Belize, on our last visit to Ochos Rios, one of the tour company marketing gals was doing the tour with us and was telling us the one in Belize is just amazing because it goes through caves and such. Sounds very cool to me and will be a must-do the next time we find ourselves that far south. :)

never been, but I have heard that it is a very dangerous port to visit.. (??)

We have been once, and did not enjoy it at all, really was not much to do when we went couple years ago, would not be interested in going again, and definitely do not venture off alone.

When DH & went we stepped outside the "Safety Zone" of the shopping area at the pier and grabbed a taxi. Negotiated a flat fee to tour around and see the town and find some t-shirts for people back home.

Our driver turned out to actually be the owner of the taxi business. He stopped and showed us where his daughter went to private school. He was very proud. We got a wonderful running commentary on everything, with some wacky mixed up history thrown in. Then he took us to a store downtown, talked to the shopkeeper and stayed with us while we made our purchases. (Yes, I am pretty sure he was working out his commission with her, but we still got better prices than what they had at the pier. It's a poor country and I don't begrudge them a profit.)

All in all, we had a blast. And we felt like we got an insight into the city that we wouldn't have gotten if we'd listened to the cruise staff and others that tried to warn us off of venturing off on our own.

Archived