Helmet diving vs. shipwreck snorkel

We are going on the Explorer in July, DH, two daughters, 14 and 11, and me. Which experience would you recommend? We are all good swimmers, very interested in coral and fish, and want the most interesting of these two.

So, is it helmet diving or plain snorkeling for us?

Thank you so much!

Depends on where you are going. I have never dived before so last year in Cozumel I did the Helmet Diving. It was one of the best excursions I have ever done! Very amazing to see the bottom of the Ocean (albeit only 25 feet down but) we saw a lot of fish, coral etc. It also included snorkeling so we actually did both. We were lucky enough to have only 4 people total so it was more pleasant. I don't think I would like regular diving so this was perfect for me. To make a long story short: some excursions do both!

spanky

We tried the snuba and did not care for it. I think the weight belts that help you not be so buoyant freaked us out. I think the helmet would be a little better. You have to train your mind to breath through the apparatus under water.

There is nothing to fear as far as the weight belt goes. ALL weight belts are equipped with quick release latches, or velcro that make it VERY easy to drop it if you were to come across a dangerous situation.

The helmet dive, on the other hand, has the weight in the helmet....if there were danger, you couldn't just "drop" the helmet.

I am not saying, in any way, that a helmet dive is dangerous, because it isn't...or they wouldn't be taking non-divers into that situation. The same being said for any snorkeling, snuba or diving.

I was very scared my first introductory dive, but the instructors are there watching everything you do. Even though I was frightened, We enjoyed it so much that we came home to Northern California and became certified divers in the cold, rough water.

My advice...do whatever looks like more fun to you, and don't be afraid of safety. It is VERY safe, or they wouldn't be doing it. If you have never snorkeled before....you might want to start with that to see how comfortable you are in the water before you try a dive. Snorkeling is just as much fun, as all of the prettiest, most colorful fish are in shallow water anyway. The deeper you go, the more colors you lose.

Good luck, and have a blast!!

Debbie

We did the helmet dive in Bermuda last summer. Can't say enough great things about it. The guy who does it is top notch professional from start to finish. We booked it on our own as the ship is docked and the price was about 60% of what the ship wanted. Highly recomend it.

Archived