Antigua for snorkeling??

kirla

Hi everyone,

All of these threads have been so helpful, so I thought I'd throw a question out there.

My family and I are going on a cruise in early June. We're starting off in San Juan and going to Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Martin, and St. Thomas. We purchased a travel guide book for the trip, and are compiling a list of what we want to do on each island. With all of the things to do in all of these ports, we sort of came to the conclusion that Antigua seems to be the least active of the ports.

We really want to do a snorkeling trip, and think that this would be a great location for this. I saw a recent post about this, but a lot of other things were mentioned that were seemingly off-topic, so I wanted to open a new thread. Can anyone tell me why we should or should not choose Antigua for our snorkeling adventure? St. Lucia won't be an option, as this will be our most packed day, and St. Thomas/St. John is looking like it may be too hard to squeeze in as well. But I would really love anyone's help and guidance with this. Thanks a ton!

Oh, also, I read in the book that Antigua is pronounced "Ahn-tee-gah". Is that true? I've been saying it "An-tee-gwah" and don't want to say it wrong once we're on the island.:eek:

Why not consider Eli's Eco Tour (www.adventureantigua.com)?

DH and I are booked on this tour next week and if you look at some of the reviews, you'll understand why their tours book up so quickly!

I'll be sure to post back and let you know how it went............

This sounds like an amazing tour... it would be a perfect solution, but one of us isn't too excited about the prospect of snorkeling. She'd like to be able to lounge and relax on a beach while the rest of us take a trip, so it seems as though an all-day excursion might be too far from her idea of a good time.

Thanks so much for the suggestion though, it's at least a good selling point to give to her and try to convince her otherwise :p

We just did Eli's on 4/5/07 and it was great. Lots of snorkeling opportunities. He actually drops anchor in a reef area and you all jump out and snorkel. Someone always stays with the boat, so if the friend just wanted to lay out, no worries. Nothing beats that water. Same is true for bird Island, you can hike, or just swim/lay at the beach. I am not as much of a snorkeler as my family, so I stayed on board while they snorkeled one time. The boat is very comfortable, they only accept 25 or 28 people max. That way, if everyone wants shade or sun, there is room. Lunch was excellent, and they provided all the snorkeling gear. the gear fit good, and wasn't the cheap stuff that leaks like some places. I highly recommend it.

Archived