What is the best beach in St. Maarten to take teenage boys to?

Janiekins

Hubby and I will be cruising to St. Maarten w/ our 2 teenage boys

(17 & 18). Which is the best beach for swimming, maybe some water sports, something to eat and drink (alcohol) for the parents?

Do you think that Orient Beach is inappropriate for teenagers because of the nude sunbathing?

I'm interested in the answers too. We've been St. Maarten twice, but didn't go to any beaches.

I'll have a 15 yr. old son & a 17.5 yr. old son. I'd rather not go to the touristy Orient Beach. We'd like to do a little shopping in Marigot then go to a beach with water sports. Any suggestions?

I am interested in St. Maarten also. What is there to do, and Where is the best shopping? this will be our first trip there.

I suspect you'll get better answers if you start your own threads with your specific questions of what to do and where to find good shopping. Your best bet is to either scroll through this forum or do some advanced searches on this forum only for things like "best shopping" and so forth. There are many, many things to do. These questions come up frequently, so I'm certain that you will find good and current information that might help you narrow down your preferences. It's kind of hard (at least for me) to answer such a broad question as "what is there to do" when I don't know anything at all about what you like/dislike, activity levels, and even what your port hours are.

We really enjoyed Orient Beach and spent most of our day there.

beachchick

activities for your boys to do. There are jet skis, paragliding, windsurfing, and any other type of activity you might want to do. In addition, there are alot of beach bars to get drinks and lunch. The only section of OB that is technically nude is the Orient Beach Club, which is located at the far end of the beach. There are the occasional nude beach walkers, but mostly you'll see topless bathers and that's about it. You know your boys the best and what their reactions will be. To me, after awhile, you don't even notice it.

Just got back from there. Yes, we did see nude people (men and women, but mostly topless women). They were walking up an down the beach (not just in one area of the beach). We plan on taking all our children and grandchildren there next time, beautiful beach, bu wiill have a long talk with our older grandchildren before getting there. Why they would want to go nude for anyone to see is beyond my understanding. They were all over 40.

It's never the young, tight bodies that go nude. It's always the old, sagging, flabby bodies. :D :D :D

I think we'll go there too. I'll explain to my sons that they may see nudity, just so they're prepared & don't gawk. I'm sure it won't be a big deal at all to them but it may gross them out a bit. LOL ;)

I was just at Orient Beach on April 6th. I walked down to the nude section and that is the only place I saw totally nude folks - more old men than women. A few topless women as you approach the nude beach.

This is a must-see beach. It looks like a postcard - beautiful blue water and soft white sand!

As has been said here many many times, Club Orient is NOT a pickup bar with sandy floors. It is a beach for people who want to swim and sun in their birthday suits rather than bathing suits

Most younger adults are too selfconcious to bare all; older people have the attitude, who gives a s--t what you think. I'm not here to get your approval to take it all off. And that is what We think.

The average hot 28 year female is mourning the fact that she gained 2 pounds in aging from 18 to 28 and would never take her suit off.;) She is FAT now. ;)

And for the gawkers, wear dark wrap around sunglasses so you can check the people out and nobody will know where you are staring :cool::cool::cool:

Just got back from there. Yes, we did see nude people (men and women, but mostly topless women). They were walking up an down the beach (not just in one area of the beach). We plan on taking all our children and grandchildren there next time, beautiful beach, bu wiill have a long talk with our older grandchildren before getting there. Why they would want to go nude for anyone to see is beyond my understanding. They were all over 40.

I just want to add the information that all parts of all beaches on the French side of the island have the custom of topless female sunbathing. This is completely unrelated to the fact that it is Orient Beach or that Club O is at one end of the beach. It's important to differentiate full nudity, which is primarily at Club O, and topless sunbathing, which is along the entire beach. The fully nude folks who stroll the beach are primarily, but not exclusively, from Club O because, although it's not encouraged, nude sunbathing is not illegal along the whole beach.

As well, some of the beaches on the Dutch side are topless (and Cupecoy is known for being completely C/O). Remember that the motto of Sunset Beach Bar on Maho Beach (Dutch) is "Topless women drink for free"--and they mean it too.:D

(Thanks the Big Booper for trying to enlighten. It's crazy making to constantly hear "but it's never the gorgeous people who are nude" or "they really should keep their clothes on." I guess some people truly do not understand that topless/nude sunbathing isn't a competitive sport, but rather an enjoyable custom. And that no one has to prove that they are "worthy" of enjoying being nude on a nude beach.):rolleyes:

beachchick

I liken going to a nude beach (topless sunbathing) to what early Americans did when the first horseless carriage came to town. Everyone just had to go see it. After a few minutes the thrill was gone and everyone moved along. Now after seeing a few million cars roll by no one even pays attention, that is unless its a truely "special" car. The people who own these truely "special" cars for the most part know it. So they don't mind you looking......:cool:

I guess we don't go to the beaches then, because I will not subject my DD to this way of life.

That is absolutely your choice, and no one should criticize you for making it. (I do want to note though that it's not a "way of life," but is specific to sunbathing on the beach. It's not like they parade up and down main street in the nude. Topless sunbathing is the custom in very many countries throughout the world.)

In any case, you must do what you believe is the right thing for you and your family.

beachchick

Archived