4/5/07 Wonder cruise trip report

mom x4,grandma x4

Hi I iwll be posting this report in a series of posts due to the amount of photos it will include, so please be patient as I post each section. I will get the entire report posted soon, Thanks.

4/5/07 Trip Report

Originally we had booked deck 2 ocean view room. We decided we didn’t want to spend the extra money for a verandah for a short cruise. More money to spend on souvenirs!!

4 days before our cruise we received a call from DCL saying we had been given a free upgrade. YIPPEE!! We were given cat 6 verandah. It was room 6152 which was as far AFT as you can get without being in a handicap room. Because we were on the curve at the back of the ship we had an unusually large verandah. At the widest point it was about 8 feet from front to back and as it curved it gradually got smaller. But the smallest point was still larger than a regular verandah. it was great. No steamer trunk in this room. But we had plenty of closet space for the two of us.

I tried to show how big it was

4507wondercruise026.jpg

4507wondercruise025.jpg

This room did get a little vibration, but never enough to bother us and when you docked you felt the thrusters pretty good, but again it never bothered us. It was all just apart of the experience and i would love to have the room again. NO foot traffic that far back on the ship. There was a set of stairs just outside out door that we zipped up one flight and we were at the secret verandah on deck 7.

deck 7 verandah

4507wondercruise075.jpg

Some may not like it because you did have to walk the entire length of the hall to get to the Aft elevators, but it only takes a minute to walk it for us.

I already replied to the other half of this report, just wanted to say that we were booked in an oceanview for our honeymoon (August/September 2002), and Disney upgraded us to cabin 6152, too! It was such a nice surprise and an incredible room! Nice and quiet, plus the huge balcony, and we were lucky enough to discover the stairs to the "secret" verandah! I would book that room again in a heartbeat! Unfortunately the Mexican Riviera cruise we booked for 2008 is so expensive, we couldn't afford a balcony, but we were lucky enough to get cabin 5020, a secret porthole room, so we get a view with a nice savings! :)

Thanks again for all of the wonderful info and photos!

• 9 years later...
I alNice and quiet, plus the huge balcony, and we were lucky enough to discover the stairs to the "secret" verandah! I would book that room again in a heartbeat! re

What is the "secret veranda" ??

The "secret verandah" or "secret deck 7" space was only on the Magic and Wonder, and not advertized or commonly known about, until it was used to house mechanical equipment when the Magic had it's major overhaul and rehab.

The Wonder still has this, but the likelihood of it remaining after she goes into drydock in Sept is very low.

Here are some pictures from the web:

7aft3.jpg

PICT0197.jpg

ex techie

It was only really used by the few that knew or found it by accident, clothes often and only had restricted opening and closing times, closed for weddings and private gatherings, and as Moki'smommy can attest, a few overly amorous folk chose to use it for some mommy and daddy alone time ;) ;) without realising they could be viewed from the upper balcony Staterooms and Aft deck from then Topsiders now Cabanas buffet outside deck.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

"not-so-secret" deck 7 was a lovely spot when it was being used appropriately. Unfortunately, some activities resulted in it being locked at dark for the last many years, and ultimately eliminated on the Magic. Between substance abuse and amorous activities.....well, it was becoming a place where you didn't want to take your kids.