Questions re: Sofa beds on the Zuiderdam

MeAbFab

I have a question regarding the sofa beds on the Zuiderdam, in a verandah category room with both upper and lower extra berths. Specifically, how does the bed come out of that little sofa??

Some background: I've traveled on newer Carnival ships in the past, and their sofas convert to a bed basically by flipping over. In other words the width of the sofa becomes the length of your bed. Make sense?

However, from what I've seen, the Zuiderdam sofa looks very... narrow, almost to the point where two people wouldn't be able to sit side-by-side in it. So, I can't imagine the cushion just "flips over" like the Carnival sofas. Is it a more traditional pull-out style sofa bed that "unfolds" a mattress? Thanks for any info you might have!

(And I know I may sound nuts, but SOMEONE who's been on both Carnival and Holland America will understand my question ;-))

There were 3 of us in a veranda cabin on the Oosterdam last year. Grandson slept on the sofa bed. Had never seen a sofa open like this one. The back of the sofa bed came forward leaving the surrounding frame in place. It opened lengthwise like a regular sofa bed. It was a very thick mattress, no bar to be felt, grandson said was as comfortable as a regular bed. It did obstruct path to the veranda door when it was open. Hope this helps

Thanks for your speedy response, I truely appreciate the information. Since you replied, I've also beenI was able to find a picture of a turned-down room with bed opened, and you're right... it looks much thicker than a normal sleeper-sofa mattress. Thanks again!

Thanks for your speedy response, I truely appreciate the information. Since you replied, I've also beenI was able to find a picture of a turned-down room with bed opened, and you're right... it looks much thicker than a normal sleeper-sofa mattress. Thanks again!

Would you please tell me where you found the picture of the room with the bed opened. We are taking our teenage granddaughter with us on a cruise on the Westerdam and don't know what type of cabin to get, but we do want a Verandah. Having never been on a Vista ship, we have no idea what to expect.

halcruiser - what category cabin did you have?

Many thanks.

Archived