Help!!!!!!! Am I ##@$@@#

mish717

I called the cruise booking line to ask a few questions about cruises. I wasn't sure if this was the correct number to call with just questions but the person who answered assured me it was.

To make a long story short he talked me into holding a room for 24 hours and giving him my credit card number so he could put the $100 depoist necessary to hold the room for 24 hours. He gave me a booking number and at that point I again stated that I was just inquiring and that I had to speak to my husband about this date, etc. He assured me it was only a 24 hour hold. Warning me that if I didn't call in 24 hours the hold would no longer be valid.

OK --- here's the stupid part from me (in addition to giving him the credit card number) a confirmation was e-mailed to me. No, I didn't read it - yes that was stupid, stupid, stupid. After talking to my husband that night he wasn't ready to comit to that date so I never called back (thinking that the hold would just drop off)

I received a bill in the mail yesterday demanding the rest of the cost. So I called today and tried to clear this up. Well after talking to several people and finally a manager it seems I'm $#@%%. She will talk to the person I spoke with and try to verify my story but I didn't get alot of hope from her statement (on top of that the hold is for $150 not the $100 he stated to me). I'll be out of the depoist (I've already had a good cry and resigned myself to this). But now the whole cruise thing doesn't look like a good idea. I am soooooooo bummed. I was so looking forward to going on a cruise.

yes, i agree w/ above post. who, exactly, did you speak with? and why would just give your credit card out if you simply had questions????

live and learn.

if worse comes to worse, go on the cruise, and have a freakin great time!

When is the cruise? Sounds like you are within the penalty phase. Did you do this with an online TA or Carnival directly? If they were DEMANDING the rest, I'm guessing this cruise is pretty soon??? Who did you get the letter from? This is very confusing....

Hard lesson learned. Never give your credit card til ready to commit. I am so sorry. If your cruise is soon, and it must be since they are demanding full payment you are more then likely our at least a portion of your deposit that you did put on your credit card.

I spoke with the Carnival cruise line booking department. He stated he needed a $100 deposit to hold the room for 24 hours. He stated that there weren't very many rooms with a roll away bed and that by the time I called back they may be all booked.

Thanks - sorry about being confusing.

I spoke with the Carnival cruise line booking department. He stated he needed a $100 deposit to hold the room for 24 hours. He stated that there weren't very many rooms with a roll away bed and that by the time I called back they may be all booked.

Thanks - sorry about being confusing.

What is the date of the cruise????

You called 1800- CARNIVAL???

WIthout the date, we can't even speculate... sounds like you booked during a penalty period.

Yes, 1-800 carnial. The cruise is very soon - May 28th.

Can't go since DH can't get that week off. Yes I realize it was stupid.

I'm tring not to let this ruin the excitment about really booking a cruise with them.

Usually 24 hour holds are considered "courtesy holds" and do require a credit card or deposit. Since your interpretation of the conversation differs (and you felt coerced into giving your credit card information) you might consider contesting the charge with your credit card company. I don't know if they can help you or not...... Good luck!:)

Since your interpretation of the conversation differs (and you felt coerced into giving your credit card information) you might consider contesting the charge with your credit card company. I don't know if they can help you or not...... Good luck!:)

That sounds like good advice to me.

I would definitely dispute the charge with your credit card company and you must do it in writing. Don't beat yourself up because you were told and believed the credit card deposit was only for a courtesy 24 hold. I'm sure it will work out in the end. Now breathe....

This is the response to charging the rest of the bill to the credit card since they had it. Beats me - I would have thought so also. I'm greatful they didn't. Losing $150 is just stupid and I've learned a lesson, losing over $1000 would kill me.

You can definitely do a 'chargeback' with your credit card company. Your grounds for the dispute would be that 'no good or services were received' and they will get it credited to you no problem. You will have a piece of paperwork to complete and fax to them, but that's basically it. I would go ahead a make that phone call so that your dispute appears to be timely. They will take up negotiations with Carnival from that point. You don't even have to handle it . . . that's part of their job. Good luck!

Archived