Bell's Guides?

Silverwing

Has anyone used these guides? I found this website:

http://www.bellsalaska.com/

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/guide.htm

They look really useful. Surprisingly they are free - you just have to pay $7.95p&p. Unfortunately they can't be sent outside the US or Canada and we're in England, but I could have them sent to Canadian friends who could mail them on to us.

I already have the 2007 Milepost which we will take with us in July (cruising on Ryndam northbound from Vancouver then 2 weeks independent touring in Alaska) but these guides could be useful for more detailed maps.

The information in the tiny Bell's guides is brief - they're not worth the $7.95 shipping. Since you already have it, The Milepost is far better in every regard, particularly the maps, but the Bell's guides can be picked up at scores of places in the ports when you arrive. Once you hit Anchorage (and beyond) you'll also find the Bearfoot Guides, which are larger, better than Bell's and also free.

Murray

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I knew I could rely on someone here to help me.

They would have cost a lot more for me as I would have had to play the postage from Canada to here as well. I bought a Milepost a couple of years ago when we first started planning our Alaska trip - I have looked at it / marked pages etc so much that it's now falling apart, so I was pleased to receive my 2007 copy a few days ago. It has been invaluable helping us to decided how far to drive each day, what to see on the way and where to stay too. We are staying in 14 different places (which range from the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver (courtesy of HAL) to Riverview B&B in Gakona) during our month long trip and our hoping that two of the highlights will be our three nights at North Face Lodge in Denali NP and the drive from Skagway up to Whitehorse via Emerald Lake. We're all getting really excited now!

Archived