Cruise tours in Australia

schoolmarm

Hi!

Are the Princess land tours in Australia like the ones in Alaska where you can pick from many different excursions at each destination? By that I mean can you pick from a list of options or do you have to go on just what Princess has planned for that destination. For instance, are there many options at the Great Barrier Reef or must you go on the catamaran trip? I am only asking about the land portion of the trip. Thanks in advance!

Because there was limited time at each destination, there weren't a lot of options. But there was an option of BBQ in Alice Springs (those who didn't want to go could go around town and have dinner on their own...we went to the BBQ and it was a hoot.) We also had free time in Cairns which we used to wander around town and shop. Not quite enough time unfortunately to go to the rainforest, but I guess if you didn't want to do the catamaran to the Great Barrier Reef, you could have made your own arrangements to see the rainforest. In general, though, we found the Princess tour arrangements to be very good...interesting and giving us the most for our limited time.

Thanks alot for your answer! I just watched an Australia segment on the Travel channel and there seems to be alot to do at Cairns. I just wondered if we could squeeze in some of those things. Looks like we may have to schedule another trip after this one!

My husband and I and our traveling companions really enjoyed Cairns and we all said we'd love to go back there and spend more time...There is a lot to do there and we had only a day and a half. We also thought Uluru (Ayer's Rock) was a must see, but honestly, could have done without the long bus ride to Alice Springs...the Desert Park there is interesting and, as I said, the BBQ was fun, but I think I would have rather spent a couple of extra days in Cairns. Nevertheless, the cruisetour was a great way of seeing a lot of Australia in a very few days.

• 3 years later...

My wife and I will be traveling with my Mother-In-Law and we are considering a pre-cruise tour through RCCL that is 5 days and includes the Great Barrier Reef and an overnight by Ayers Rock. We are a bit concerned with the activity level. My Mother-In-Law is a resonably active 81 yr old.

Has anyone done a similar pre or post cruise tour who could offer an opinion on how strenuous or active the days are?

Archived