Civitavecchia Baggage help!

After our cruise on the NCL Jewel (depart 4/22) we will be staying in Athens for 4 days and flying to Rome and leaving for the USA from Rome. The baggage restrictions on the flight from Athens to Rome is rediculously small. Alitalia (spit... evil eye curse!) is estimating that it will cost me about $700 in excess baggage cost! I called fed ex, they only want $1400 to send my 2 bags home from Athens. have experience with mailing material (50lbs) from Athens? Anyone know of a place in Rome or Civitavecchia where I could store bags for a week ?

Have you checked First Luggage?

You could send all your baggage which you not need in Athens (like tuxedo etc.) directly back the US.

One suitcase directly from Italy to the US costs door to door about 310 USD per 60 lbs..

That's less than your FedEx quotation although it's FedEx's service again.

Regards,

HeinBloed

our flights to rome are booked on two separate flights. Minneapolis to Frankfurt on Northwest, then Frankfurt to Rome on alitalia. Are their baggage restrictions significantly different?

If you are booking a flight

US - Germany - Italy on one ticket (Alitalia Flight maybe with NW-flight-no.)

the Transatlantic rule counts:

2 x 50 lbs. (23 kg) in Economy Class.

If you are booking two flights

US - Germany

and Germany - Italy (Alitalia Flight with AZ-flight-no.)

you get for the first section 2 x 50 lbs. (23 kg) in Economy Class.

for the second section total limit 20 kgs (43 lbs.) per passenger in Economy Class (except British Airways and Low-Cost-Carrier).

Regards,

HeinBloed

Our tickets were booked as 2 separate fares with one overnight in Frankfurt. I guess that makes it NOT in conjunction with our tickets from the US??? and therefore, subject to the lower weight restriction???? My TA said she books about 90% of her clients this way and has never had it be an issue. I'm wondering if we let them know that we really are connecting on a transatlantic, could we be exempt??? Or maybe considerately overlooked? I have no idea how we could make this limit for a 3 week trip even before we consider shopping.

Our tickets were booked as 2 separate fares with one overnight in Frankfurt. I guess that makes it NOT in conjunction with our tickets from the US??? and therefore, subject to the lower weight restriction???? My TA said she books about 90% of her clients this way and has never had it be an issue. I'm wondering if we let them know that we really are connecting on a transatlantic, could we be exempt??? Or maybe considerately overlooked? I have no idea how we could make this limit for a 3 week trip even before we consider shopping.

Hello,

that were the official rules.

But you are flying ALITALIA.

If you want to see the difference between ALITALIA and other airlines you get ONLY YOU (Marisa Tomei - Robert Downey Jr.).

It's finally a good preparation for Rome anyway.

If a ticket is released in the US and you are US-citizen and you find a nice check-in-agent you can try to tell him that you did not know and your TA did not tell and you are from the US. Mostly it works.

If it is not working you are paying 1.5% of the Standard Business Class Fare per kg.

What you can do: sending it from Frankfurt as unaccompanied baggage to Rome - what is somehow cheaper than excess baggage.

As I am living close to Frankfurt and you might think about it as an option you should let me know. Maybe I can help!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks, Heinbloed. I think I will try the "dumb american" routine, LOL.

Any suggestions for our time in the Frankfurt area? We have an overnight on both ends. We thought we would stay in Heidelberg at the beginning of our trip and at the Frankfurt Marriott on return. We are hoping to see some sights. We are traveling with our children 10 and 16. Any thoughts?

Well,

Heidelberg...

If you are coming on a weekend to Heidelberg you might have a tour guide... me...

I am just arriving in Frankfurt with my train and see the Marriott...

Well Heidelberg: where are you staying: at the Marriott???

That's directly at the Neckar River.

Heidelberg lives from its romantic old town and the castle which is really beautiful.

Frankfurt is like Manhattan... (not so many skyscrapers...) - that's why German call it Mainhattan (after the River Main).

There is a very nice tram tour with historical cars: Ebbelwoi-Express. Ebbelwoi is the Frankfurt apple wine. While you are drinking you have a nice sightseeing tour. The Ebbelboi Express just starts opposite of the Hotel (big square).

Frankfurt has a very nice old town hall RÖMERBERG, nice museums MUSEUMSUFER and a very historical district with a lot of German restaurants SACHSENHAUSEN.

You can do a lot.

Send me an e-mail to

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de.

Please replace nickname by my nickname here in the forum.

I will send you a short guide by return of e-mail.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived