What do you see on the train?

Casey2

We are deciding between the domed train ride and the ferry across the canal. People have said that the train goes so fast that you don't see much. Is this the case? If we don't do the ferry excursion, we would like to see the scenery and maybe some wildlife in addition to the Panama Canal.

In February we did the train ride and I think we could have spent our money better. While I think riding the historic train was nice, I do not feel as though we really got a feel for the country or the canal. The train does travel fast and you have to look quickly to see things. Although there is not much wildlife to speak of - or at least this was our experience.

I think that if we had been in one of the other cars - we happen to get onto the only domed car because the cruise had booked too many people (a private tour had booked the dome car) and they had to put us in the empty seats in the dome car - I would be really upset. At least in the domed car you could see above the flora.

If I were to go back to Panama on a cruise, I would go on our own (with caution as Colon is not the best place) or with myfriendmario.com.

Overall we had a good time.

We just returned from Panama last week and we took the Ocean to Ocean by Train tour. This was by far the best tour offered by Carnival from Limon, Costa Rica. Many of our cruise critic friends took the Ferry and had lots of trouble on the busses due to a "protest" going on. One bus missed the ferry totally and they had to hold the ship up to get all the busses back from folks on the tour.

We boarded our bus and went a short ride to the train. The train traveled the entire length of the canal (about one hour). Sights along the train were great and we saw several ships travelling through the canal. They took us to a shopping stop near the end of the Canal and then to the Miraflores locks where you could see the locks up close. We then travelled back by train to Colon. On the way back they served us a some snacks on the train. It was a wonderful trip. I would highly recommend it. We arrived back at the pier by around 3:00 p.m. - It was a great day.

• 1 month later...

Trvlr37**** are you still there??

We cancelled out City Tour as it was way to long...and booked the coast to coast train....:eek:

I am looking at our shore time..8am to 1pm........5 hours approx.

Yours was, I assume, 10am to 3pm approx........

Question: On the train, could you buy water, snacks (beyond the ones provided) or should we provide our own.

Was there a great deal of walking and was it a difficult walk?

I am happy we switched tours....this sounds exciting.....:D

Archived