HAL hotels on cruisetour - alaska/food?

SueO

Hi - we are doing a cruisetour in august that goes from Fairbanks and ends up in Seward for the cruise portion. Does anyone know where HAL usually puts us up in Fairbanks and Anchorage? Do they have their own hotels there?

Also - are there plenty of places to eat at most of the stops? Do we need reservations or are there long waits? We don't want fancy - just moderate, casual suits us fine.

Thanks,

sue

We're on Cruisetour 16 starting May 13th and have received our cruise/tour documents. The Hotel in Fairbanks for us is the Westmark (owned by HAL) and the Westmark in Anchorage (that entire chain of hotels I believe is owned by HAL). In Denali two nights we're in the McKinley Chalets.

The tour documents do reference when meals are included - lunches etc. on the land portion. The hotels have restaurants or I'm sure are within some walking distance of options.

Yes there is food on the train. Depending on the time of the day you can either buy lunch or dinner. The meal was very good.

They also sell coffee and tea which they will bring right to your seat.

A souvenir ship and restrooms are on the bottom floor.

The view is magnificient

The view is magnificient
There is room for everyone on the upper floor under the dome, right? I hope it's not like a harbor tour boat where the first people on get the good seats on the upper deck and the 2nd half get stuck downstairs. What is the best stretch of the ride? Between Fairbanks and Denali, Denali and Anchorage, or Anchorage and Seward? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
There is room for everyone on the upper floor under the dome, right? I hope it's not like a harbor tour boat where the first people on get the good seats on the upper deck and the 2nd half get stuck downstairs. What is the best stretch of the ride? Between Fairbanks and Denali, Denali and Anchorage, or Anchorage and Seward? Thanks.

Our docs indicate that we will be given assigned seats on the train. I am glad to not need to duke it out for a seat. As we will be with these people for almost 3 weeks, it would be nice to be on friendly terms :) .

I will know the more interesting stretches after our trip. So sorry to not be more helpful. I bet BQ can fill in that info.

Only 20 more days!!!!:D

Thanks - I wonder if the Westmark is where everyone with HAL stays. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

have fun,sue

We are on Cruisetour 21 in July and are staying at the Hilton in Anchorage, McKinley Chalet in Denali and Westmark in Fairbanks.

Depending on the cruisetour that you're doing, you will probably be on a motorcoach between Anchorage and Seward. There is a train option that is availible for some cruisetours for that segment, but most will be on a bus.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought the mealplan offered with our Cruisetour. It is a stack of vouchers. On the train, we will have breakfast and lunch enroute to Denali. Then, two days later, on the train going on to Fairbanks, we have a voucher for dinner. BQ posted the menu for the train if you can look back through the threads and find it.

I hope that this helps with your plans.

Archived