ruins and beach?

danyelle

Has anyone taken the ruins tour and had enough time to chill at the beach in mahahual after?

That’s my plan but I’m not sure if it’s too ambitious.

Has anyone taken a taxi to the ruins on their own vs using a tour company? What was the cost?

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone taken the ruins tour and had enough time to chill at the beach in mahahual after?

That’s my plan but I’m not sure if it’s too ambitious.

Has anyone taken a taxi to the ruins on their own vs using a tour company? What was the cost?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Danyelee,

I guess it depends on the ship schedule. In our case, it was not ambitious at all. Our port hours were 9:00 to 5:00. We went to the ruins with Ivan(nativechoice.com) and he dropped us off at Mahahual beach at 1:55. We even did reef snorkeling tip with Onlinka from 2:00 to 3:00. Afterwards, we ate at the restaurant, but I think I should have gotten beach message instead. And then we took a cab at 4:00 and shopped at the port from 4:15 to 4:50. Whatever you do at the beach, please be careful about eating local food. I ate at Cat's Meow restaurant. I got horribly sick afterwards. Cat's Meow is pretty expensive and the waiter is very agressive about getting a tip. We didn't like the experience at the Cat's Meow.

Anyway, I don't know how much the cab charge to the Ruins, but it is a 45 minute driving. Anyway, I want to recommend the tour I took instead of hiring your own cab. I thought about hiring a cab like you do, but I'm so glad I booked with the Nativechoice. And during the ride to Ruins, Ivan told us a lot of things about Costa Maya, such as local culture and history. He stops from to time to show us thier school, local houses, local people, and the local grocery store which was very interesting because it is very different from ours. You can really see how Costa Mayan life is like. In the ruins, he explains about Mayan culture so extensively that you wouldn't regreat to visit the ruins with him. I've been to other Mayan and Aztec ruins in Mexico, incluing the National Archology Museum in Mexico City, but Ivan knows as much as, if not more than, all of the highly trained tour guides. Another great thing about him is that you feel like you are getting a botanical tour for free as well. He knows so much about local trees and flowers that he explains how they use them for medicine which we will never know if we didn't go to ruins with Ivan. Anyway, whatever you do, you will have fun!! Good luck! :)

Archived