Question about NYC & Taxis

VtRhyno

We're flying into JFK for a summer cruise (July 21) on the Dawn. We're planning to take a taxi from the airport to the port. Does anyone have any tips or experience with this? Thanks!

I don't anything about the taxis from the airport besides that they are there. Couldn't you take an NCl bus if you wanted to though...I always see their reps at the airport holding up the NCL sign and waiting for passengers.

I don't know about to the port but I can comment on from the port. DH were on the Dawn about 3 years ago and I have to say that getting a taxi from the port afterwards was a NIGHTMARE and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. What happened was they were giving out tickets with numbers for the taxis. Well once the taxis got to the port they were stopping at where the first ship let off so they never got down to the where the Dawn was. Also, some people were totally disregarding the tickets and were 'stealing' taxis. I'm from NJ and never have a problem in NY but I must say this way awful. We had waited 2 hrs and still had not gotten a taxi. We were so frustrated, then I remembered what I read on one of these boards. If you go downstairs and cross the street, you can get a taxi a bit easier. That was just my experience.

As the above person points out, there will be plenty of Taxi's at the airport who will be happy to take you to the Manhattan cruise terminal. Its $45.00 plus tolls and tip. The Tolls should be no more than $4.50 and the suggested tip is 15-20%. Coming back has gotten a little easier as they line the taxis up from the parking lot but if there are more than a couple of ships it can get hectic and crossing the street MAY be easier to catch one. NY also now has a fixed fee back to JFK its the same $45.00. You can also prearrange any reputable car service who will charge you about the same amount.

On the Dawn's return its only you and one Carnival Ship so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks! Our flight out isn't until 5:00 so getting back to JFK in time shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Any other tips for "country bumpkins" with NYC taxis would be greatly appreciated.

1-800 777-8888 they are really reliable and are the same price as a taxi. It is called Dial 7 Limo. My daughter does a ton of traveling out of JFK and she lives in Manhattan she loves using them. I know Carmel is another one people have talked about on these boards but the local news here did a story on them the other day that would make me a bit nervous using them. You can check dial 7 out on line at http://www.dial7.com.

Here's the link for the official Taxi & Limousine Commission website:

http://nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml

On it is all the info you need/want to know about cabs in NYC.

I've also used Dial 7 and Carmel as Mommyto2Girls mentioned.

Mommyto2Girls-

I didn't see the story on Carmel, what did the TV reporter have to say about them?

1-800 777-8888 they are really reliable and are the same price as a taxi. It is called Dial 7 Limo. My daughter does a ton of traveling out of JFK and she lives in Manhattan she loves using them. I know Carmel is another one people have talked about on these boards but the local news here did a story on them the other day that would make me a bit nervous using them. You can check dial 7 out on line at www.dial7.com.

Hmmm, I also missed the local story about Carmel. What did it say? Should I be nervous using them? I've been using them for years without a problem, but that doesn't mean a problem can't arise now.

I forgot to mention that right now is the period of the "May Sweeps" in TV (the period when local ad rates are set for the following year based on a 2-week survey of local viewership). Local TV stations are notorious for running the super-sensational "investigative" reports during this period in order to boost their ratings. I'm thinking that the Carmel story is one of these "investigative" reports.

There was a whole story on how some of Carmels drivers just dumped receipts in various garbage cans and right along the curb around the upper east side, apparently there were a couple of hundred receipts with credit card info. They claim that it has never happened before but it did happen that time! It was all around 1st and 2nd ave in the 60's. Lots of info on those receipts if you use your credit card. I would just hesitate to use them again and we have good luck with dial7.

Archived