Navigator Newbee

Hi EverybodyThis is my first post on the Regent Forum as I have to admit that I am a SeaDreamer....but SeaDream are not doing the itinerary we wanted for this summer so we had to choose a new ship....have heard really good things about the Navigator so we have booked the Venice to Athens cruise at the end of August...it's a special birthday and I wanted to do Venice with my man as he's never been there before....ah the romance.....anyway now that the Navigator is all inclusive we thought we'd give it a try...it will be a bit bigger than we are used to (490 instead of 110) and we're not sure about all the entertainment but I guess you can take it or leave it...but joy of joy we will have a bath.....brilliant.Anyway just a few questions...1. Will there be the usual range of upmarket toiletries...bath/shower bubbles, shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser...and what make ? (sorry boys but its a girl thing)2. The dress code for our cruise says Casual and also Informal...casual is great but informal says a jacket and tie is suggested....ok I might get him into a jacket for 2 nights but a tie might be pushing it....does anyone know if not wearing a tie on these nights will be acceptable or will we be refused entry into the restaurants..?3. Can you have dinner on deck if you are at anchor ?4. Is there internet access in the cabin...either WiFi or by cable ?That's about it for now...though I'm sure I'll think of other things later...any feedback on the above questions will be gratefully received...ThanksxxHxx

sorry about the layout of my first post....tried to edit it but nothing happened....hope you can fight your way through the jumble and give me some feed back on the questions...xxHxx

Let's see:

1. Bath Products are excellent and of all types queried. (I'm a guy, but my DW likes them too.) The one exception is the conditioner. That seems to be just OK.

2. Although a tie is included in "informal" I do not think there will be an issue if the jacket is accompanied by a proper button down shirt (i.e. not a tennis shirt or other less formal type).

3. I, personally, know that dinner on deck is an absolute no. I didn't think it was a big deal, but was advised there is a directive forbidding it. However, if you have a balcony suite you can dine on your balcony.

4. There is no wifi in the suites and I do not believe Ethernet either. There is a smallish room where both are present off the main lobby.

Any other questions, just ask away.

Boatman

FYI, there is now wifi in all the cabins, even on deck 6 where there previously were problems. In addition, the satellite system was updated so TV reception is significantly improved.

As for the toiletries, it is a high-quality brand, but has a strong herbal odor. You may want to bring your own just in case it isn't to your liking.

JoAnne B

Thanks for the info...

glad it's up-market goodies cause I love to pamper me...any idea of the brand name.....so I can go to a store and try some and see if I like it...

also very good news about the WiFi...we always travel with our laptops as we run an internet company and even on holiday need to keep in touch with what's going on.....no rest for the wicked....

xxHxx

Helen, when I was on the Navigator in November, the in suite toiletries were "Aveda". I'm going on the ship again on June 2nd, I'll let you know when I return if that's still what they are using.

Speaking of pampering, my chum and I had this fantastic "exfolliation/mud wrap and massage" in the Spa, and it was absolutely incredible. When I came out, my skin was as soft as a baby's bottom, and my knees were wobbly! I plan to do THAT again!

Aveda Rosemary Mint for all except lotion which is sensitive skin, unscented. The shower gel/bubble bath contains aloe, the lotion and other products do not. They are rather strongly scented.

Hi Folks

I've heard of Aveda but Rosemary Mint sounds a little overpowering....my favourite so far has been Bvlgari (SeaDream) closely followed by Molten Brown (SeaBourn....you had a choice of 6 different bath essences so I tried a different one every night...heaven).

Charsie ...it would be great if you could let us all know if they have changed (upgraded) the toiletries during the recent refit....June 2nd you lucky thing that's almost here already....only a few weeks to go..

xxH

Hi Helen

We were on thge Voyager last summer and don't remember anything unpleasant about the toiletries' scent.

As far as your guy wearing a jacket... last summer there were a few instances on the Voyager where men showed up at Compas Rose without jackets, they were seated and my husband [who wore a jacket under duress] was furious with me for not letting him ditch the jacket.

This summer he is not taking a jacket at all!

Incidentally, I think we are on your cruise. We are doing back-to-back 7-day cruises; Rome to Venice and Venice to Athens. If your guy doesn't bring a jacket, that will make at lease two of them, and I'm sure there will be more.

I have a feeling they are listing a couple of days as "informal" to satisfy some of the older [which is just a state of mind] or more formal passengers. I believe that overwhelmingly travelers would prefer "country club casual" as long as it is not abused, and I can't imagine the average Regent passenger doing so.

Anyway, if you are on the 8/25 sailing, I'm sure we will bump into you.

Marsha

It's still the Aveda. In fairness, I'm very sensitive to scented products and use all unscented products at home, so others may not find it overpowering. It's so easy to toss in a travel-size bottle of my own that I don't even bother with the Regent toiletries.

JoAnne B

AtlantaCruisers

Our second time on Regent but first on Navigator as well. DON'T EVERYONE YELL AT ME... but, I kind of like Oceania better. More charm, old world elegance, etc., however they had nothing that could touch this back-to-back itinerary.

Sooooo, see ya' on board.

Marsha

We have not done Oceania but we did do the Mariner and loved it. The all inclusive really works for us as well. We have typically done the Caribbean on a "non cruise" basis, with Anguilla, St. Barths and St Martin and Nevis being our faves. Cant wait to do the itin on the Navigator for the two weeks.

Marsha

I don't think anybody will yell at you for preferring another line. No cruise line will please everybody, nor should they. Each is looking for their own niche in the marketplace and eventually develops their own following. I find Regent very continental in style, but with a boutique-bent that I find comfortable. I haven't tried Oceania and probably won't because for me, in the long-run it turns out to be more expensive. But it's your cruise experience and hopefully you'll enjoy Regent for the itinerary.

JoAnne

Houston

Hi boogie113 and atlgacruisers

so we'll be ship mates....not doing the back to back just the one week from Venice to Athens....likewise I'm also celebrating my birthday ...but my 55th.... hope there's no cake and candles milarcky... apart from the fire risk with all those candles...I don't eat cake..!!...I'll just have to have loads and loads of champagne..

my partner has just had his 55th so this is a sort of present to each other...but he wanted us to cruise on my actual birthday as we will be in Venice and he thinks that will be romantic and I think he's going to take me to Harry's Bar for all the trimmings.... I told him we will be able to get Bellini's on board Navigator but he seems determined...

look forward to meeting up on board

xxH

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Helen and Atlgacruisers

I definately think we should make a point of at least having a big birthday/anniversary bash one night. 9/1 is our 28th anniversary although not a biggie, we are happy it worked out that way.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'm sure Regent will fete us with the cake, candles, champagne, etc.

Marsha

• 2 weeks later...

great idea...I'm always up for a party.....anytime, anyplace, anywhere....but I intend to drink champagne everyday as well....just happens to be my tipple...a few years ago when we were on the Sea Goddess (now SeaDream) we had a caviar and champagne pool party one afternoon (at sea day) and we managed to get through 68 bottles of champagne....the crew lined them up around the hot tub which made a great photo....allowing that there were only 90 people on board and that not everyone joined in I guess we did good...!!

does anyone know if Navigator usually throws a pool party during the week ..???.... if not perhaps we can have a private hot tub champagne party ...

xxHxx

We just returned from the Navigator (May 26 to June 2). The entire ship is WiFi - we used our laptop throughout the ship (our cabin, pool deck, etc) without any problems. I can say, if you are expecting Cable or DSL type service you will be highly disappointed. The download/upload speeds are very slow - not as bad as dialup. If you plan to send photos via email of your trip make sure you use the "resize option" in outlook or resize your photos with your photo software. My first attempt resulted in time out messages from webmail.

The toiletteries are still AVeda Rosemary Mint - I actually liked them very much and they really leave your skin soft and your hair squeaky clean on the first shampoo.

We did not havea pool party per se...the pool deck was very active and many people lounged daily at the pool.

About the Champagne - the Regent Champagne will leave you begging for something else and some aspirin. When you order, ask for the Piper Hiesdick - there is no charge for it.

I'm not sure if they regularly have Peach Nectar and PRosecco on board. You may phone them or email ahead of time and they will be sure to have it for you. Or, you can always ask when you get on board and they will get it for you at the port or the next port. They are very good with special requests of this nature. We asked for Pomegrante Juice and they got it for us.

The informal nights are nothing to worry about. We never wore a tie and in one case not even a jacket. As long as you are presentable, they won't turn you away. And, if you book your dinner at the Portofino Grill on an informal night - you can wear your Country Club Casual clothes.

Michael

thanks for the feedback...it's always good to hear the "up to date" situation with things....great about the WiFi...we will only really need to download emails and send a few I hope...after all it is my holiday...in a way it's great that we can take the business with us in a laptop ...means lots of holidays as long as we can access the internet where ever we decide to go.....good advice about the photo resizing for those who email a daily log + photos...personally I tend to just regularly download from the camera to the laptop and store the photos till I get home so that I always have loads of space on the camera for that next memorable photo...

your best advice for me was about the champagne....definitely the Heidsieck for me so thanks for the tip....it could have taken me days to find the good stuff but now I can sip good champagne from day one....also re my Bellini's who do I email..or would it be better to wait till I join the ship and then Regent can get the ingredients in Venice ...?

also glad to hear that the informal nights can be "sans" jacket and tie without causing any offence....my man always looks gorgeous but I especially like him in linen trousers and pure white shirt....hands of ladies...!!

Charsie...how did your cruise go....would love some words if you can find the time....

xxH

Helen, I'm sorry I didn't write earlier, as promised. As the previous poster said, the products are still the Aveda, and I also like them a lot. In fact, I brought my own shampoo etc. for my pre cruise land based Italy week, and switched to Regent's when on board, it was better! I also treated myself to a "satin skin" spa treatment, and it was glorious, my body hadn't felt that soft to the touch in 30 years.

I didn't bring a lap-top, I just used the ship's computers for picking up emails etc. Had no problem with them. Also, I don't like champagne, so I couldn't compare, I'm glad that somebody else gave you a tip on which to order! Me, I'm a Pinot Grigio or Gavi or Cortese girl.

Our cruise was spectacular in every way possible. The service was outstanding (as always), the ports of call were excellent. Particularly a new one they had added, Bonifacia, Corsica. Wow! Nobody on the ship (including Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Manager etc.) had ever been there. Everybody was pleasantly surprised, it was the most darling town, with great little stores, friendly people, and stunning, views. There was a lovely hike to a lighthouse, it was my second favourite port! Next to Sorrento, which is always my favourite port.

The food was superb, our night in "Portofino" restaurant was my favourite, as always. Some people love it there, some people hate it - I LOVE it. The entertainment is so much fun (and Jerry, Roberto, Vincenzo, they're so talented), and Italian fare is my favourite.

We all just had the best time on this cruise, and of course, booked another one on board, for February in the Caribbean. As I've often said, it's every Canadian's God-given right to leave this country for at least one week in January or February.........

I hope you have as great a time on board as I did!!

Charsie

I have to agree with Helenlilhaynes --- The best on-board toiletries we've ever had were on Silver Sea, which were Bvlgari. We were on a two week cruise last November and I was spoiled rotten by the time we disembarked in Hong Kong.

The first time we sailed on the Mariner in 2001, they had Judith Jackson amenities, they were quite nice as well.

Just as an FYI, you can order the Bvlgari products on-line at Nordstroms.com.

Good luck and either way, you'll have an amazing cruise.

Helen,

You can email Regent directly from their website, just be sure to give them your booking number and what ship/date you are on with your requests. They are usually very responsive within 24-48 hours. The email address is information@regentexperience.com or if anyone is a Seven Seas Society Member it is SevenSeasSociety@regentexperience.com.

We are from Atlanta, just finished our 3rd Regent cruise in June and have booked another - New Years 2008-2009 in the Caribbean. We have never done Caribbean with regent before. Any thoughts?

Michael

Archived