Binoculars: deciphering the terminology and how to use them

qiangf2

I am fairly certain that my Zen-Ray Summit 10x42 binoculars are the same ones the other poster is mentioning. There is a definite difference in image quality; enough that a self proclaimed "cheapskate" like me thinks they are worth every penny. I bought my pair from their website and posted the link below. I saw they have some special where you get a free monocular with your purchase. Might be a good time to get my second pair!!!

http://www.zen-ray.com/

thanks a lot for the link.. I have found the site and placed my order. It is in the mail.. I cannot believe I start planning my vacation this early. My past cruises were all decided 2-3 months before the actual sailing date.

• 2 months later...

Dave, just found your post from the other link. You explained everything so well that I think I understand most of them. I do have one quick question: I have one really old pair from my father. I think it is dated back in 50's. I just took it out to try and found I always see double images no matter how I adjusted it. Any suggestion?

Dave, just found your post from the other link. You explained everything so well that I think I understand most of them. I do have one quick question: I have one really old pair from my father. I think it is dated back in 50's. I just took it out to try and found I always see double images no matter how I adjusted it. Any suggestion?

It seems the collimation of the binoculars might be off. You may want to send it to a service shop to have them take a look. But it typically costs more for them to make adjustment than getting a new one. Have you tried to adjust the distance between two eye pieces?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

After a long search, I found this thread. Even though it is several years old, it has really been very informative and helpful. Now I just have to read it a few more times to fully understand everything and then go shopping for the perfect pair of binoculars. Thanks so much for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

I read this thread recently and began a search for decent quality, inexpensive (approx. $100) binoculars for our trip to Alaska next summer. Thank you to the OP and others who provided a lot of great information. I had no idea what to look for or what made one pair of binoculars better than another. We already own two pairs of cheap binoculars that we had been given years ago. I knew one pair was total junk, but thought the other pair was ok. Based on what people were saying, I wanted to buy one new pair so DH and I would each have a pair to use.

After searching online at a number of retailers (including the ones listed in this thread), I ordered a pair of Bushnell 8 x 42 binoculars for just over $100 including shipping. When the binoculars arrived, I compared them to the two pairs we already had. I was right, one pair is total junk. The other pair is ok, but when compared directly with the Bushnells, wow, what a difference! The clarity, brightness, etc are vastly different. But, I found the Bushnells a bit heavy for me. I had chosen them because they were lighter (23oz) than others I looked at online. So, I went back to the net and began a new search for lighter binoculars.

I came across a pair of Nikon She Adventure ATB binoculars for just over $100 including shipping. They are 8 x 36, and weigh only 20oz. The reviews online were excellent. Apparently, they are the same as the Nikon Monarch binoculars that are sold for over $200, but are targeted to women (they are plum colored and come with a lime green carrying case). They arrived yesterday. I did my comparison last evening during dusk and this morning. The clarity, ease of use and size are great. They feel a lot less heavy to me. I posted the link below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671400-REG/Nikon_8237_SHE_Adventure_8x36_ATB.html

Thanks again to all for the great information. I love CC!:)

Archived