Our first family cruise--what you can't live w/o

live4vacation

Hello all,

We will be cruising the Southern Caribbean and taking our 3 1/2 year old. Having only cruised by ourselves I was wondering what you or your child could not live without during your family cruise. Did you find it easier to buy things (sunscreen, sand toys etc.) once you got there or just bring them with?

How did you handle dinner? shows? what about in-cabin babysitting, do you feel comfortable doing it?

Thanks in advance!

We bring most of what we need with us, but one thing I mention is that if St Thomas is one of your first stops, you can always buy anything you forgot at the KMart near the port. I point this out to everyone because it's so much cheaper and better variety than the cruise ship store. Just ask any staff or taxi for directions...I think taxi to KMart is $3 but it is in walking distance if you are able to walk about 20 minutes.

Make sure you have a good stroller with sunshade, reclines and good wheels for going over rough terrain. Even at 3 y/o, they get tired.

We always take our son to shows and dinner with us and just leave if he's having a problem. You know your kid best, though,and if he's usually a handful, then you might want to put him in the group sitting for a couple hours if you want a quiet dinner. I don't know if Princess has in-room babysitting (I don't think they do, but someone else might be able to answer).

Our son has never been a problem at shows, he loves watching more than adults. Just sit on the end of an aisle near an exit for quick get away.

I would never spend my precious island time inside a K-Mart. Bring everything you need with you. You won't be sad you did. When you cruise, you don't have much time on each island. Enjoy it somewhere on the beach and not shopping for sunscreen.

The younger kids seem to do well at the shows. They usually are amazed and watch intently, and then 1/2 way through they fall asleep.

Enjoy your family trip!

Hello all,

We will be cruising the Southern Caribbean and taking our 3 1/2 year old. Having only cruised by ourselves I was wondering what you or your child could not live without during your family cruise. Did you find it easier to buy things (sunscreen, sand toys etc.) once you got there or just bring them with?

We brought everything. We brought 1 sandpail and 1 shovel. No point spending $10 on something when you can get it at the Dollar Store for $1.

How did you handle dinner?

We did breakfast buffet because kids cannot stand an 1-hour sit down breakfast. Our lunches are either buffet or sitdown lunch, but I find buffet lunches easier with kids. We always have dinner in the dining room. We let the kids watch DVDs on a portable DVD Player while we order food and after they've finished their food.

shows?

We bring our kids to watch the shows, but when they start to make unwanted noises, we bring them back to our cabin. Then DH and I take turns going back to the show or watch the show on another day. I would get the kids ready for bed (PJ/brush their teeth), then take them to the shows. We would sit in the back and near the aisle so we can make a quick visit when we have to. My older child would watch the whole show, my younger child would inevitably fall asleep in my arms.

what about in-cabin babysitting, do you feel comfortable doing it?

I would feel comfortable doing it, but some cruiselines do not offer this service. Only group babysitting after the kids' club's regular hours. So this service is only available to 3YO and up. One thing though when my DD was 2YO, she did not do well with strangers. So I just didn't have the heart to leave her with a babysitter that she was not familiar with. I know I'm kind of soft, but I feel since we are on our vacation, everyone should have a good time, including the baby.

Things I always pack besides the obvious (clothes, shoes, diapers, etc...):

[in no particular order]

1. hand sanitizer

2. portable DVD player with DVDs kids never seen before

3. sunscreen

4. stroller

5. backpack

6. grocery store plastic bags and/or ziploc bags

7. quarters and detergent in ziploc bags (if your ship has self-laundry)

8. kids' clothes hangers (free ones when you buy clothes from Target or other stores)

9. extra sippy cups and utensils

10. small bottle of dishwashing detergent and sponge to wash the cups and utensils.

11. crayons and small toys to play with when kids are bored.

12. medicine for the kids. cold medicine, bandaid, antibiotics, cough medicine, diarrhea medicine, allergy medicine (Benedryl), and Tylenol.

Princess doesn't have in-cabin sitting, but they do have post-10pm kidsitting that's very reasonable (it used to be $5, not sure what it is now). Kids watch movies, play on the video games.

I would also bring what you need as the ship's store doesn't carry everything...and what they do stock will be at a premium price. Some ports will have a store that will be convenient enough to run in and buy a few things. We have bought Sudafed in St. Thomas when we ran out (hubby got hit with something, on top of my allergy woes).

If you're flying in, just came in a day early and shop at your embarkation port. Two cruises ago we took the train to Seattle and rented a car. I had already checked out locations of Targets, Walmarts, etc. and there was a Target and a grocery store near where we were staying.

thanks everyone for the great info!!

One more question--we only have 1 day at sea so I figure we will be going to the beach most places we visit. Do you think it is crazy to carry around one of those blow up floats that the kids can sit in?

I spent $16 on a beach bucket and shovel :eek: at Cozumel. They KNEW they had me. I could have paid $1 for it at the dollar store. Yes I am a doof...lol.

I also had to get more sunblock in Jamaica because the bottle of spray on I had ran out by Jamaica. THAT was not cheap either.

The one thing that we can't live without on these trips is a travel umbrella stroller. :D

Archived