Ideas for Roatan Island??

hoff4man02

I am booked with Victor Bodden on 7/25/07 and am looking for a list of things to choose from to do with the other 7 members of my family. I've read about some of the things available to do, but I was hoping that you could tell me what you did and how you liked it. I know Victor will take us where ever we want to go, so bring it on. The bigger the list the better! :D Thanks

Our driver Willson was amazing and he showed us the best of the island. We stopped a few times as we drove towards the east end of the island for photos of the two shipwrecks, to try sugar cane juice, and finally at our first official stop - the iguana farm. I wasn't sure what to expect for the $5pp admission fee but it turned out to be worth it. Over 4,000 iguanas move around the property freely and camoflauge everywhere. We got some great shots of iguanas up close and personal, even getting to feed them. Pretty cool. If you visit the iguana farm be sure to walk down the hill to the pier. Amazing views along the waterfront and the farm also has a bunch of tarpon and barracuda fish, sea turtles, lobsters, etc.

From here we traveled back to the west end of the island, stopping at Victor Bodden's house to meet his monkeys. Little "Taco" and her brother were so much fun to be around. These monkeys have been socialized with people and interact nicely. We were told they are left to roam the property freely when ships are not in port, but today they were on leashes to keep them from climbing up high and not interacing with visitors. Victor is a nature lover and has a bunch of other animals - all very adorable.

From here we made a stop at the "View" a cliff top overlook of the island - neat view, and then traveled to Half Moon Bay Resort for lunch. Beautiful property along the water with plentiful area for snorkling, swimming and sunning. We sat on the deck of the restaurant in the shade soaking in the atmosphere. The food was excellent in my opinion along with the great local brew. DH had the fried shrimp and I had the coconut shrimp (they were huge) and quite tasty. We also had an order of conch fritters for an appetizer - these were the best fritter EVER! If you like conch, you have to have them. Full of minced conch and very little filler. YUM!!! DH and I had two beers, two sodas, 2 meals, 1 appetizer and paid for our driver lunch for a total of $48USD. Pretty good deal. If you opt to eat here be prepared to be visited by some of the local feral kittens who are very sweet - nearly eveyone feels them.

This is a very neat, undeveloped island - enjoy it before it gets commercialized! And yes, your driver will take you anywhere for anything you want. Enjoy!

I would highly suggest the Bare Feet Bar. We made an unexpected stop there where and had a wonderful time. Cold drinks before a wonderful walk to one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever visited. The beach was full of other cruisers, but our walk was pretty much to ourselves. A great walk and a nice hike back after a few hours of swimming was great.

Ronnie the owner explained to us that we could have skipped the hike back by going to the end of any pier. And picking up a water Taxi for about $2 US.

hIiEBU23RBzGH9Ws6XAY4yoxvsKH5AEy0060.jpg

Roatan.jpg.977ee1544e3783e821a263740d3f4408.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hoff, your email is not in your profile. I just saw this post.

Hi there. I just saw your post on the board about a local for Roatan.

We booked through Victor with boddentours dot com It was the best trip ever.

OUr driver was Henry. He took us to do anything we wanted. We did the Jungle Canopy Zipline, snorkled, visited the orphanage, the Iguana farm, & the monkeys. Henry also took us snorkeling on his own personal boat.

It is a beautiful island that is also sad to see.

Let me know if you need more info

• 1 month later...

Not quite 4 yrs ago, my grown daughter and I were some of the first cruise passengers to go to Roatan and it was heavenly and relaxing!! But now it sounds like it has many more "touristy" things to do. :(

We took a leisurely walk down to the town of Coxen Hole, talking to people all along the way - including many school children playing hooky so they could sit up in the trees and play on their beach-backyards. One nice local lady offered to let us walk with her under her umbrella - it was quite hot and sunny that Sept. day. Then we wrote some emails in an Internet cafe (hard to type in English on a Spanish keyboard!!). We wandered around looking at shops and talking to the very nice people. We were told that very few cruise passengers ever went to Coxen Hole.

We walked back to the ship dock and got a taxi to take us over to the West Bay Beach. Had 2 really nice brothers who were good "tour guides" explaining things we saw along the way and over the mountain to the other side of the island. They even stayed there in their car all afternoon while we layed out on the most wonderful beach I've ever been to! Very few people were there and the water was gorgeous. The water taxi arrived occasionally - how cute. We met a woman who was from Chicago originally and now owned a small cafe right there where we were on the beach. Sure wish I could live there too!! She said she went there for a vacation and stayed.

Went back to the ship as late as possible because it was so heavenly there on the water. I think that's one island where I wouldn't want to be busy doing or seeing places, but rather just enjoying the peace and beauty.

Definitely want to return!!! :D

Archived