Kona snorkeling choice

CC Help Michell

The upside for us is that we instantly knew where we would be going on our land vacation next Christmas... Kona, without hesitation since we didn't want to miss out completely! :) We will be visiting as many places as possible to snorkel... one of the most recommended is actually at Place of Refuge.

For snorkeling itself, yes, the Place of Refuge is far better than the Kahaluu Beach Park. The Place of Refuge is an extension of the Marine Park Kealakakua Bay, and has long white beach with far less people. The drawback is that it tends to be more exposed, and is pretty far to get to.

If you are staying in Keauhou-Kona side where most condos are located, the Kahaluu is very easy to get to. It does get crowded during the holidays and weekends. When we are in Kona, we go there all the time - nice everyday beach. Snorkeling is good enough.

If you stay with rich folks in the Kohala Coast, then Waikoa Beach is open to public, has good snorkeling, long white beach with less people, etc. Make your reservation early. Kona books up during the holidays.

Be sure to do the Kealakakua Bay with the Fairwind. Though more expensive, do the morning tour. Afternoon tends to get choppy. While you are in the Place of Refuge, be sure to visit the National Monument, too, right next door to the beach area. Very interesting place.

Be sure to do the Kealakakua Bay with the Fairwind. Though more expensive, do the morning tour. Afternoon tends to get choppy. While you are in the Place of Refuge, be sure to visit the National Monument, too, right next door to the beach area. Very interesting place.

I soooooo wish we could, but I have steer clear of fun stuff that involves smaller boats. DH gets seasick on smaller ones. Well, large ones too once in a while. Believe me, I have considered leaving him at the condo and going without him. ;)

Here is a website that will tell you about Kahaluu Beach

http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/beaches/kahaluu.html

We think that this is the best snorkle beach in Hawaii !!

I see your from Southeast Texas. Do you mind if I ask the area.I know some don't like to say exactly. Thanks for the link for the beach. We are northeast of Houston.

For snorkeling itself, yes, the Place of Refuge is far better than the Kahaluu Beach Park. The Place of Refuge is an extension of the Marine Park Kealakakua Bay, and has long white beach with far less people. The drawback is that it tends to be more exposed, and is pretty far to get to.

If you are staying in Keauhou-Kona side where most condos are located, the Kahaluu is very easy to get to. It does get crowded during the holidays and weekends. When we are in Kona, we go there all the time - nice everyday beach. Snorkeling is good enough.

If you stay with rich folks in the Kohala Coast, then Waikoa Beach is open to public, has good snorkeling, long white beach with less people, etc. Make your reservation early. Kona books up during the holidays.

I agree, but will also say that Honaunau has some what I consider "guidelines." Less experienced and timid snorkelers should definitely enter the northern part of the bay (the boat ramp and north), while experienced snorkelers can enter off the lava shelf on the south part of the bay. It's a bit of a challenge, but well worth it. Just watch where others enter (or ask) for the better "stepoffs" and ledges for getting in and out. For anyone not familiar with it, the national park that is City/Place of Refuge is next to Honaunau Bay, but it is Honaunau Bay where you snorkel. City of Refuge is worth a visit in its own right.

OTOH, Honaunau requires a car rental, while Kahalu'u can be accessed by the shuttle or with an inexpensive taxi ride. It's great for families too. And it's very protected.

We've not yet snorkeled on the Kohala coast, but drove up last December to check out some of the beaches and bays we hadn't really seen on previous land trips (we've stayed mostly in Kona and south, and at Volcano House another time). A-Bay looked fabulous for a day trip. We also liked Hapuna and Mauna Kea, as well as a couple of others that have slipped my mind. We're going to try to stay somewhere up there or maybe even in Waikoloa Village next time.

mmemichele: You would tell the taxi driver that you want to go to Kahalu'u Beach Park. He or she will know exactly where to drop you. I do not recall taxis ever hanging around there, but it would be super easy to call for one or to arrange in advance for one to pick you up at a specific time.

txadmin2: We have not done this by taxi or shuttle. Many cruise passengers do though, so I'm sure it's not too difficult. You would have to call a taxi when you're ready to go or arrange for one in advance. Kahalu'u is at the south end of Ali'i Dr. and not much more than a 10 minute ride from the tender pier.

beachchick

txadmin2:[/i] We have not done this by taxi or shuttle. Many cruise passengers do though, so I'm sure it's not too difficult. You would have to call a taxi when you're ready to go or arrange for one in advance. Kahalu'u is at the south end of Ali'i Dr. and not much more than a 10 minute ride from the tender pier.

beachchick

Thanks. I appreciate your input. Knowing the time away from the pier helps me.

Someone asked for another outfit that has snorkel excursions to Kealakekua. We did Dolphin Discoveries (google on the name, make sure you end the second word with "..ies" rather than just a "y") and had a VERY good time! Friendly people, a zodiac type boat that had shade also. If there's a bad thing about them (but also, ironically, a good thing!) is that they depart from Keahou beach, which is pretty far south of the tender port. (the good thing is that it shortens the actual time it takes to get to the snorkel spot!)

If interested, may I suggest you call them and ask about transportation. The guy was incredibly accomodating to us - we had to postpone our excursion three different times because of bad Kona weather... true "kona" conditions, which is a meteorological phenomena rather than just the weather at Kona... and the guy was happy to oblige. Yes, we were staying on the Big Island at the time, but if his attitude towards us is any indication, my guess is he might be able to figure out something for y'all.

Someone asked for another outfit that has snorkel excursions to Kealakekua. We did Dolphin Discoveries (google on the name, make sure you end the second word with "..ies" rather than just a "y") and had a VERY good time! Friendly people, a zodiac type boat that had shade also. If there's a bad thing about them (but also, ironically, a good thing!) is that they depart from Keahou beach, which is pretty far south of the tender port. (the good thing is that it shortens the actual time it takes to get to the snorkel spot!)

If interested, may I suggest you call them and ask about transportation. The guy was incredibly accomodating to us - we had to postpone our excursion three different times because of bad Kona weather... true "kona" conditions, which is a meteorological phenomena rather than just the weather at Kona... and the guy was happy to oblige. Yes, we were staying on the Big Island at the time, but if his attitude towards us is any indication, my guess is he might be able to figure out something for y'all.

Ah, yes. My DH had told me about "Kona storms," but I didn't quite get it until our first visit there together. We hit the first big Kona storm of the year--Not a whole lot of snorkeling or ocean swimming that week. But it sure was beautiful.

Glad you finally made it to Kealakekua Bay.

beachchick

Archived