Legend - Mexican Riviera - Review (from 8/1)

The Legend is so similar to Splendour that we felt like we had been on her before. Overall, she’s doing pretty well but we saw some little things that looked like she needs to be refurbished.

The weather was very hot and very humid. We expected this but it was even more than we expected. We even had a thunderstorm in PV and I saw several people who looked like they had jumped in the pool with their clothes on. It was even too hot for us to lay out by the pool but some people still did.

We won two games of bingo - $164 for me and $315 for hubby - and I brought home an extra $125 from the blackjack table. Of course, our daughter lost $200 at BJ and hubby lost some in video poker. I hit an ace, king, queen and 10 of hearts with a jack of diamonds once! A royal flush would've been over $1,600. So close and yet so far. An 11 year old kid hit the big bingo jackpot and got over $8,700! Not fair!! His grandfather had to claim the prize, of course.

In Cabo we went on the Santa Maria snorkel and sail. Compared to the Caribbean, the water is very cloudy and rough. Several people on our tour were stung by jelly fish. The boat was nice and not too crowded but we never did really “sail”.

In Maz hubby and son went on the Sierra Madre tour and really loved it. They said the bus was very comfortable and the tour was informative. Our daughter and I went to the folk show, beach and shopping tour. It was so hot at the folk show that it was hard to enjoy it. The show was very well done but we were soaked before it was over. The resort was very nice but a bit crowded.

In PV we went on the morning Pirate Ship Adventure. They had more people on the ship than there were seats. The ‘local’ people were already on board when the cruise ship pax arrived, so we were on the upper levels. Unless you were in the front row, you needed to stand to see the show. The show was kind of cheesy but in a fun and entertaining way. They warned us that there were no facilities on the beach where they were taking us before we got there. But it was worse than that. There were 5 small cabanas and 180 people. So, not enough shade for everyone, no bathrooms and a very small swim area. They left us on the beach for 2 ½ hours. All in all, we had an OK time but would never take this tour again. We submitted a written complaint to the excursion desk about not having access to a bathroom for such a long period. Two hours after we got back to the ship, the storm hit. It was fun watching the lightning from inside the solarium.

Our Splendour cruise was a 12 night Panama Canal trip. This was by far our most favorite cruise yet, partially because of our CC buddies. It was chilly the first sea day out of Galveston and the last two sea days going back to Galveston but the weather in the Caribbean was fabulous. The Canal was marvelous - the deck out behind the spa is a good place to be. There were three formal nights even though our docs said there would be two. Is there anything specific that you wanted to know?

I just wanted to add that we enjoyed the food (most of it). The only dissappointing part was waiting in line for the Gala Buffet for an hour and there was little left. We went after the late comedy show and were toward the end of the line. Our waiter (Vijay) was wonderful but he's on Radiance now. Our table mates were fun and diverse. Dinner was a great time!

Take small bills for shopping in the ports. Lots of places don't take a credit card and have trouble making change for larger bills ($20 or more). Some things are very reasonable but jewelry seemed very expensive to me. The merchants can be a bit pushy. Just say "no thank you" firmly and they back off.

Thanks for the review, we will be sailing again on the Legend next March. Our cruise is right before she goes into DryDock for refurbishment. Darn, was hoping it would be done before we sailed, but oh well, guess we will overlook the little things that need replaced.

Archived