Jewelry prices in Bermuda

cruzadict

My husband and myself are on the June 2nd trip on Celebrity Journey to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Hubby wants to buy me a ruby ring to celebrate this and wondered if we should purchase this in Bermuda or before we go. Any help and advise re jewelers would be greatly appreciated.

Marilyn

There are no Diamnonds International etc. there. The jewelers are pretty classy and you can go to read about them at

www.bermuda.com/shopping/jewelry

Maybe you should check out your local stores, and get the prices, quality to compare. Buying something special on a trip will provide many special memories, but be sure to go well versed!

Try buying it on the ship but you really should know what you are buying. Bermuda is an expensive island with expensive shops...no Carribe bargains there. You will do better at a true sale at home.

I highly recommend Crisson's who have several stores in Hamilton. I suggest you check out your local jewelry stores for prices/designs then check out the stores here. You never know you may find a very special ring that you just can't live without!

Sue

My husband and myself are on the June 2nd trip on Celebrity Journey to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Hubby wants to buy me a ruby ring to celebrate this and wondered if we should purchase this in Bermuda or before we go. Any help and advise re jewelers would be greatly appreciated.

Marilyn

:)

I understand the the symbolic ruby ring for the 40th anniverary (CONGRADULATIONS by the way) but to buy it in Bermuda could be costly, as the previous poster mentioned this is not an island of bargins, beautiful, but no bargins. Instead, if you're looking for something special to remember the wonderful anniversary spent in Bermuda try one of their island pieces of jewlery. I got a beautiful hook bracelet at E.R.Aubrey that is in the shape of Bermuda. I just look at my wrist and I'm there (ok, maybe I'm still at work in front of the computer .... but in my mind........):D They had several different pieces of jewlery, pendants, charms, bracelets. But no matter what you choose, celebrate and enjoy Bermuda!

Marilyn

My wife just got back from St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, and she told me that the prices and selections of the jewelry stores there was outstanding. I usually buy her some piece of jewelry every time we visit Bermuda as well. I also recommend either Crisson's or E. R. Aubrey's. We really didn't save any money over the prices at home, but the fact that we bought it in Bermuda gave it special significance. There are shops such as Christopher's who sell some very attractive charm pieces that have nice Bermuda flavor. Such as in the shape of the island, or local birds and lighthouses. I also bought her some nice Bermuda prints that we framed when we got home. If you could afford it, the original art work by some of the Bermuda artists such as Birdsey and Amos is very striking. At the glass blowing studio at the dockyard (and St. George), every trip we buy a vase to bring back. They change the color for every year and stock the past years. There are some very original and beautiful glass sculptures that they sell as well. Just to give you ideas of some alternatives to jewelry. And as other posters mentioned, you need to check out the prices at your local stores so you have an idea of whether the price is reasonable or not. We found the selection and prices onboard the ship's store not too great. Remember they have the overhead of an expensive rent. You could also get in touch with jewelers before you go. Research online, such as Bermuda online to contact Crisson's etc and perhaps they might offer you a good price (depending on the price range), if you contact them beforehand. Hope this helps.:)

Thank you all for your replies. Think I will investigate closer to home and then decide when we get there. Thanks also for the alternative suggestions. I am not desperate for any present, the fact that I will be in Bermuda is all I need.

Marilyn

Marilyn

We have been going to Bermuda each year for the last 20 years and usually buy a piece of jewelry while there. I highly recommend Crisson's - there are several locations right on Front Street in Hamilton and when I take them to local jewelers and compare their prices to what I have paid, I am very happy. The jewelers tell me they are great pieces and not what they call "mall jewelry" (which they tell me means "production line or mass assembly" type jewelry. Don't really understand that in full but I am happy to get great bargains. I love particular designer jewelry by John Hardy and David Yurman and have bought several pieces in Bermuda for less than their price in the US. Check out the prices in your area and then you can compare the prices in Bermuda and be more aware of good buys.. have fun and enjoy. Swiss

Archived