Galapagos June 3rd

delton

Just booked Galapagos June 3rd on Celebrity Expedition. Looking for information on the weather/temperature etc. would also like to know how casual is casual for the evenings.:confused:

My hubby and I (major cruisers) are going on our "first" land tour. We are doing both Machu Picchu and Galapagos in late August.

In reading some posts on the Galapagos, we were told the water is COLD. So, if you plan on "swimming" with the animals, it was suggested that you bring a wet suit. Maybe the ship will have some available for rent (I don't know)...but do some research anyway.

As to what to wear to dinner on the Celebrity Expedition, it was capris and a plain, colored T-shirt with a gauzy-type wrap that was the dressiest for women. Men wore khaki-type pants and sport shirts or golf shirts. (I just took a glance at our scrapbook.)

As for wetsuits they are gratis on the Celebrity Expedition, they have all sizes and will help you with the right fit.

I haven't looked for a temperature Web site but it's on the equator with cool water around so it was a routine summer all the time.

You'll have a wonderful time. Enjoy the anticipation. Then you'll have great pictures to recall the adventure; I won't spoil the surprise by telling you how I know.

We did the Galapagos cruise on the Xpedition in May and found the weather as well as the water temperature not to be a problem. In fact, at one beach I went snorkeling without the wet suite and did not come out looking like an icicle.

The excursions are early in the morning and then late afternoon, so that during the heat of the day you are aboard the ship.

If you like snorkeling do it a couple times, but refrain from the deep water trips. The visibility was much better near shore and the current less. Also it is a ball to play with the sea lions near shore. Want to see sharks and turtles? Go do it.

Wet suites, goggles and fins are all provided along with a wet-bag to store it in. A guide is with you at all times and safety is number one.

For details about the ship and excursions you might want to visit the following web site:

http://www.*****.com/Galapagos.html

• 1 month later...

We did it in Feb. and found the the Xpedition extremely restrictive with little to do. There is one morning excursion- either before breakfast or right after. Then nothing until 4pm when you have your second excursion. They had wonderful wetsuits and we needed them, you can get cold cross currents. The bird watchers onboard were enthralled every moment, we would have loved more marine life time. The dining staff was awesome as were the bar staff- even though I don't drink they remembered. No shows until the last night and only one 'talk' on each of 4 of the days but it was on 'conservation'. Most of the rest of the staff either didn't speak English or had little interest- gratuities are prepaid. It's probably the only cruise I've ever not loved- but 2 of the 3 snorkeling trips we were allowed were great. The other had no visibility and rough, rough seas. No way of predicting weather- we were there at a good time. Hope you had fun.

following my comments is information from a website which will make you feel good (as you are in a recommended time.)

I personally prefer days without the garua (afternoon rain.) The cold water didn't really bother me because wet suits were provided - though if I spent more than an hour or two in the water, it would have been different.

You will get some rain - so definitely bring a very light raincoat - one that does not provide much warmth, but keeps the misty rain out of your hair.

It gets hot, so plan to layer. Bring sleeveless for hot days, lightweight shirt with sleeves if you want to avoid sun or the weather cools, perhaps a sweatshirt. I was on Lindblad's Polaris, so cannot comment on the Expedition's dress code. Ours was 100% casual.

There are only two distinct seasons: the hot and wet season which runs from January to May and the dry season for the rest of the year when the temperatures cool down to an average daily low of about 19ºC (66.2ºF).

So you would think that it would be better to avoid the wet season then, right?

Wrong...during the wet season it rains less than in most other destinations' dry seasons with rainfall averaging about 75mm (2 inches) per month. The rains tend to be short lived with the sun breaking through again soon afterwards.

The sea is also warmer for diving and calmer during the wet season which is a very good thing if you are prone to seasickness. During August and September the sea can become pretty rough which could affect your landings when you go ashore. Due to the Galapagos weather, the water temperature cools down a lot during the dry season so if you do go then it's recomended that you take at least a shortie wetsuit with you.

If I have to choose an absolute best time to visit based on the Galapagos weather then it will probably be in April - May. The water is still warm, seas are calm, rainfall is diminishing, everything is green and lush and the high season tourist crush has yet to begin so everything is a little cheaper and there are not so many other people around.

Avoid The High Tourist Season If You Can

The high tourist season runs from from June 15 to September 14 and November 1 to April 30. During these times you will need to book everything in advance because of high demand. Prices of flights, accommodation, cruises and restaurants are higher during this time and there are many more tourists around. So avoiding tourist crush time is a good idea if you can, but even if you can't it's still a very worthwhile experience to go, so don't let the high season put you off because the Galapagos weather is still good at that time.

For some strange reason (but to your advantage), the low tourist season months coincide with the best times to visit the Galapagos island weather wise so you can get the best of both worlds. Blue, sunny skies coupled with lower prices and less people around so there are more opportunities to schedule non-cruise activities without having to fight for space. The low season officially runs from May 1 to June 14 and from September 15 to October 31.

Archived