Credit cards on Tahiti Islands

Curious Jan

Jan,

It's my understanding that when shopping in established stores, *most* will take credit cards. However, for excursions and such, most only take cash. Vendors at the ports are cash as well.

In addition, only the major hotels and similar accept American Express.

do not count on any of the stores taking credit cards. the only place we used our credit card was the sheraton for our pre-cruise stay. tahiti is still fairly underdeveloped - you will not find any standard stores on any of the islands. your best bet is cash!

If you stay at the Sheraton and you want to go diving. The dive master charges it to your room account and that can be paid with your CC. We used the Credit Card for car Rental on Moorea(got a cab right where they drop you off from the Tender) and Also in Raitea(they were taking only one person from each party to the rental center and then you would come back to the area near the ship to pick up the rest of your party.

For regular purchases, not rental cars or hotels, most are small time vendors and require cash. So plan on bringing traveler's checks that you can cash onboard as you need it in addition to a CC. Do not convert your cash to FP at the airport, as their exchange rate isn't as good. There is a cash conversion machine at the port should you want to use local currency for purchases but it's really not necessary.

Happy Sailing!

I have been to Moorea, Bora Bora and Tahiti on land base vacations. I have always used a VISA or MC in "most" of the stores on these islands. Also don't count on your ATM cards to work all the time, it is a 50/50 shot. You can however find a bank on the island and get a cash advance on your credit card, I have done this, but be prepared to have your Passport or a copy to do this.

BurBunny is correct American Express is not as widely accepted and your tours will require cash and smaller vendors. I would suggest taking traveler checks if you do not want to take cash and exchange them on the ship.

I hope this helps ;)

Archived