Best way to get from Seward to Anchorage

Suzi2

We are first time cruisers going northbound from Vancouver to Seward May 9, 2004. One thing we can't decide on is how to get from Seward to Anchorage. Train, bus or rental car? We are not rushed for time as we will overnight in Anchorage before we catch our flight home. Does anyone know of a car rental company in Seward other than Hertz?

Thanks in advance for you help.

We loved the train. You go through some beautiful scenery, and it stops if wildlife is spotted. We saw more wildlife from the train than from anywhere else. The road parallels the tracks for part of the trip, but the part not covered by the road is beautiful. Our train ride to Anchorage actually ranked second favorite as an excursion.

LindaKE

Sun Princess(Alaska)

Carnival Inspiration

The train sounds great, but our drive in a rental car with scenic stops at Turnagin Arms, Portage Glacier, a side trip to Coopers Landing and Princess Lodge for lunch, a hike to Exit Glacier, etc. was one of our best days in Alaska ever. The scenery is so beautiful in May because all of the lower hills and mountains still have snow. OUT OF THIS WORLD!

I think Hertz is the only alternative and it is really expensive for one-way ($207/$242). If anyone knows of a "better deal," I for one would love to hear about it.

HAL's Ryndam - Northbound Alaska - May 28, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;05;28;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hertz is your only car rental option. This is a great way to go. But the rail fits in wonderful with a Kenai fjords boat tour if of interest. Scenery is superior from the train, bus would be my last choice.

I've cruised twice to Seward and have driven twice to Anchorage. I highly recommend the drive. You can visit Portage and Exit Glaciers up close and personal. They are not to be missed. The drive through the passses is incredible-especially the wildflowers if you go in late May to Early June. The train is ok, but the drive is an "adventure".

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Glacierlady, tell us where to stay and what to do in Seward. We are staying a couple of extra days and were going to stay in Anchorage and rent a car but may change our mind now. Do we need to rent a car in Seward? Please advise and Thanks!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Vision of the Sea/ Alaska Northbound 9/3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;9;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

I rarely post on unacceptable lodging- but I had a terrible experience at Ocean View B&B and won't recommend them. No response from my emails either. Dirty unchanged sheets, hot water runs out in 5 minutes, no toilet paper icon_smile.gif . No rails on 2 sets of stairs. AND attempt to charge for an "extra" bed, upon arrival, after all emails and reservation indicated I required 2 beds, this was in response to the request for a clean bed and it to be made. Apparrently - they felt I shouldn't be using it so it could remain dirty and unmade???

Archived