Those who have flown in to Miami the day of cruise..

habby

As someone who has worked for an airline for 8 years, I highly recommend going down the night before. If you leave the day of the cruise, you have very few options if something goes wrong. And there is always the chance that you may experience mechanical delays, weather issues (esp with these Spring/Summer storm systems that pop up unexpectedly) etc. I have seen too many people who have missed part or all of their cruise, due to traveling down on the day of. Besides, it's much more relaxing to just get there a day early, not have to stress about what "could" happen and enjoy a daquiri at Bayside Marketplace. Even if everything goes smooth traveling the day of, it is still a LONG, tiring day.

Misty

As someone who has worked for an airline for 8 years, I highly recommend going down the night before. If you leave the day of the cruise, you have very few options if something goes wrong. And there is always the chance that you may experience mechanical delays, weather issues (esp with these Spring/Summer storm systems that pop up unexpectedly) etc. I have seen too many people who have missed part or all of their cruise, due to traveling down on the day of. Besides, it's much more relaxing to just get there a day early, not have to stress about what "could" happen and enjoy a daquiri at Bayside Marketplace. Even if everything goes smooth traveling the day of, it is still a LONG, tiring day.

Misty

Thanks, Misty. I guess there was a little too much wishful thinking on my part regarding flying in the day of sailing. We had a great time at Bayside in April. Now, I need to research flying into MIA vs. FLL and hotels. This group will find things to do the day before. I have no doubt about that. Of course, staying downtown Miami would be my preference but it may be a little cost-prohibitive:eek:

Here's a success story.

We flew from Detroit to Miami on May 4th for our cruise on RCCL Explorer of the Seas.

We flew American Airlines, departing 6:45 am, and arriving in MIA at 9:35 am. We were on time to the very minute. Neither airport was busy at all during those times. We got to the port early and we were some of the first people on the ship.

We felt pretty safe about it this time. Our flight was early enough that we felt we had some time to iron out wrinkles if problems arose. But of course... it'd be different if we were flying during the winter.

For our Carnival Victory cruise out of Miami a few years ago we flew into Miami the day of the cruise and flew out the day of debarkation. We will NEVER do this again. The Miami airport is a nightmare. Even our limo driver recommended flying into and out of Fort Lauderdale instead.

Also, to save yourself headaches, anxiety, and frustration I would fly in a day early and leave the day after the cruise if at all possible.

Agree with you 1000%

TSA is scary - My wife has a metal hip, Miami was the first airport we've traveled where the metal detector did not go off - real scary to me. Also they didn't have any accommodations (chairs) for putting your shoes back on.

Archived