transportation from JFK

jparcell

We are arriving at JFK and are going to spend the night in a hotel in lower Manhattan before cruising from Brooklyn. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to transport from JFK to Manhattan? I would prefer not to take aNYC taxi. Has anyone ever used a limo service in this area? If so, how was it? Thanks.

We are arriving at JFK and are going to spend the night in a hotel in lower Manhattan before cruising from Brooklyn. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to transport from JFK to Manhattan? I would prefer not to take aNYC taxi. Has anyone ever used a limo service in this area? If so, how was it? Thanks.

As a NYer, taxi's are fine from JFK. The toll is a fixed $45 from JFK to Manhattan (plus tip & toll). What is the issue that you have with cabs?

A car service is another option. One problem with the car service at times though is that the car never arrives and you have the wasted time & hassel of finding other means of transport. This costs about the same as a cab though.

I am travelling from JFK to a hotel on June 15. I have 5 in my group. Do they have larger taxis at JFK to accomodate 5 people like taxi vans? Also, is it the same price, $45.

Any other tips?

Thanks

There are taxi vans but it might be hard to get one, although there is usally someone at the airport guiding people to the taxis so that person would get a taxi van for you. As far as I know it is the same price but it would be really tight for five people plus luggage. In all honesty, I think a taxi can take a maximum of four people. You can get a van from car service but it would cost more but you would need two taxis anyway. All in all it's six of one, half dozen of another. I personally would take car service so you can all be together.

• How many people can fit into a yellow taxicab?

spacer_60_30.gifspacer_30_30.gifspacer_499_15.gif

From Driver Rule 2-43a (in PDF):

The maximum amount of passengers allowed in a yellow taxicab by law is four (4) in a four (4) passenger taxicab or five (5) passengers in a five (5) passenger taxicab, except that an additional passenger must be accepted if such passenger is under the age of seven (7) and is held on the lap of an adult passenger seated in the rear.

[back to Top]

http://home2.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml

Most of the taxi's that are minivans only seat 4 - 3 in the back seat and one up front. Some do seat 5 (1 up front, and two rows of 2 captain seats each), but those vans are few & far between.

Archived