Rome in October

I will be sailing in the fall (Oct) and the cruise will end in Civitavecchia. Does anyone have information about getting to Rome. We do not want to take the Train because there will be four of us traveling with Luggage.

Because this is a shorter cruise, only 7 days we want to say in Rome for a day or two. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations as well. Something nice but not overly expensive.

What are the must see/do things that should not be missed there as well.

In July we took a 7 day cruise that ended in Rome. We booked a post cruise package through our cruise line at the Westin Excelsior. It is a lovely hotel and very conveniently located on the Via Veneto. They provided bus transportation from the port into Rome. I know that you can also hire private drivers. We used Claudio Caponera of limoinrome.com for a wonderful day tour and I believe that he also provides transportation from the port. You might check out his website. He took us to see a lot of incredible sites in the city such as the Forum, the Colisseum, the Catacombs, the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica, and some other religious sites and ancient ruins. I would highly recommend him.

We have also stayed at the Excelsior and it is one of Rome's best though probably one of its most expensive.

We have also stayed at the Quirinale on Via Nationale. This is a very nice hotel, in a great position and not quite as expensive as the Excelsior. We had a huge suite last time we were there.

Jennie

I will be sailing in the fall (Oct) and the cruise will end in Civitavecchia. Does anyone have information about getting to Rome. We do not want to take the Train because there will be four of us traveling with Luggage.

Because this is a shorter cruise, only 7 days we want to say in Rome for a day or two. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations as well. Something nice but not overly expensive.

What are the must see/do things that should not be missed there as well.

I believe our tour guide's website also has transfers from Civitavecchia to Rome but I don't know how cost effective it is: www.driverinrome.com

Aussie Gal,

I am so glad to hear that you stayed and liked the Quirinale in Rome. We are staying there in early October and really weren't sure we had made the right choice. Although it is not inexpensive, it is also not even close to being the highest priced hotel in Rome. I just want it to be clean, comfortable, pretty, and conveinent. Any other info on the hotel would be greatly appreciated. You have already put my mind at ease! Thanks.

Suntanzi,

We had first booked transfers from our ship ($75 /person), but now we cancelled and booked a tour of Rome through driverinrome straight from the pier. It will actually "kill 3 birds with 1 stone", by giving us a tour, transferring us to our hotel, and sending our luggage on ahead. Think about it (approx cost 100E/person with 6-8 on tour).

Good Luck and have fun!

Linni,

We were first stayed at the Qurinale in 1994 on our first visit to Rome. I fell in love with not only Rome but the hotel. It was the first time I had ever had shutters on my windows that closed and just to be in this most exciting city was an incredible feeling. We had a lovely room then on the side overlooking the Opera House. It was a good size with a big bathroom.

We returned again to the Quirinale in 2002 and spent a couple of nights there. We were upgraded to a suite this time overlooking the main road which is Via Nationale. It is what I would call palatial but needing perhaps a little refurbishment in the fabrics.

There is the best breakfast area outside, under cover and in the open overlooking a lovely, private garden which is so unusual for Rome. The fruit for breakfast - peaches, plums etc are magnificent as all Italian fruit is.

It is in a great position, handy to the Trevi Fountain, the Trajun Markets, Victor Emmanuel monument, the Spanish Steps etc. We have always walked when in Rome and from the Quirinale we have walked to St. Peters, to Castille St. Angelo, Transtevere, Baths of Caracella and the Coleseum and of course the wonderful Piazza Navona, Piazza della Rotunda and del Populo where we always have a great lunch at one of our favourite restaurants there.

Just writing about Rome makes me want to return. We are going to Venice but not to Rome this year. Enjoy and if you have any more questions just ask.

Jennie

Gleper,

We had first booked transfers from our ship ($75 /person), but now we cancelled and booked a tour of Rome through driverinrome straight from the pier. It will actually "kill 3 birds with 1 stone", by giving us a tour, transferring us to our hotel, and sending our luggage on ahead. Think about it (approx cost 100E/person with 6-8 on tour).

Good Luck and have fun!

Linny

Archived