Alaska vs. Pacific Coastal (seas comparison)

skyalive

The only cruise I have been on was a Pacific Coastal repositioning cruise from Vancouver to LA on the Norwegian Sun at the end of September 2005. I was very seasick on the cruise, even bedridden at some points. Due to a medication interaction at the time I was unable to take any Bonamine/Gravol/Dramamine. I cannot recall the exact height of swells of but it was certainly not calm and the cruise ship was rocking back and forth pretty much the whole 4/5 days. If I remember correctly the tv inside our cabin stated the the seas varied between moderate to rough. I think I remember the swells averaging 12 to 15 feet maybe more or less. I am considering a trip to Alaska thi summer on the Norwegian Sun, inside passage Vancouver to Vancouver and I will be able to take meds this time.

How do the seas compare on average on these 2 cruises? I understand the Alaska cruise is in protected waters (I in fact live on the coast in these protected waters and will be able to see my house through binoculars at one point on the cruise). Has anybody taken these 2 cruises and can give me any feedback?

Taken both..

You should have BC Ferry like sailing for most of the trip except maybe when you leave the protected area eg. between Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes or what is commonly called being "Outside"

Some cruise lines do go outside more than others though. A round trip from Vancouver should be pretty safe.

No comparison in the possibilities of a "Lot of time" being rough.

The water between Vancouver and California is known as some of the worst when it gets rough.

Was on Zuiderdam (Vista Class) for a 4-night PacCoastal May 8th and then Ryndam (S Class) northbound Alaska on May 13th. On 5/10, the Captain had to close the decks because of gale-force winds and seas to 27ft! I think Zuiderdam rode very well through it and didn't realize how hard the wind was blowing until I saw a pax attempt to disregard the signs--he only took a few steps before fighting to get the door open to come back in. The Ryndam cruise was in much smoother waters, so even the last night headed into Seward seemed like the Inside Passage to me.

Of course, every day is different, and your pre-disposition to seasickness may mean it wise to stick to protected waters.

Happy Cruising (wherever you go)

Sorry, you are asking a question that can not be answered and maybe be looking for "smooth sailing" reports to make you feel better?? :) You will find them :) can be very smooth, but not a given. My WORSE rough sailing Alaska trips have all been round trip Vancouver. I am just off a round trip Seattle and ran into a very rough day, with many people sick.

So perhaps, consult your health care provider and find a precaution that will work for you. With your history of motion sickness, it would be highly recommended.

Archived