Kayaking in Ketchikan

miraclemet

Anyone do either of these Kayak trips while in Ketchikan?

Tatoosh Island Kayaking
Clover Passage Kayaking

Im trying to decide between the two and cant seem to find any real descriptive opinions on them.

1st Cruise this August!
Infinity to Alaska

Hi Miraclemet - the Clover Pass Kayaking is a new tour this summer so no one has experienced it yet. Tatoosh Island Kayaking has been in existance for a while. For this tour, you are taken by bus north of town to Knudson Cove. There, you will board a large fast inflatible boat to take you to Tatoosh Island where you will meet up with your kayak. I haven't done this trip but have been told great things about it - including the off chance that you might get to see some wildlife.

The Tatoosh Island (4.5 hrs for $129)and Clover Passage (3.25hrs for $87) trips are with South East Exposure (sold though the cruise ship shore excursion staff)... I also found other options:

Has anyone done Orcas Cove Kayaking (4hrs @139)with SouthEast Seas Kayaking?

It says group size is limited to 6, which seems like a more serene "real" experience, as opposed to a large conglomeration of kayaks all together floating around. Anyone use SE Seas before?

1st Cruise this August!
Infinity to Alaska

I've done the Tatoosh Island one. It was great! the guides were friendly, and u get to see some wildlife. I would do it again! They teach you wat you need to know.

Sailed the Star Princess last year. Now I'm sailing the Diamond Princess this year!
Diamond Princess 6/12

We did Orcas Cove w/ SESeaKayaks last summer and we're going back for more this summer. Last summer we lucked into them (at a booth in the visitor's center at the dock) and we were with a local guide, a guy, and his two sons. The six of us used 3 double kayaks. (The guide uses a single if there are six paying customers.) We went around the island and she told us about everything and answered our questions very well. We saw plenty of marine life on the rocks (particularly bright orange and purple starfish), an eagle and her baby, a puffin, and many many jumping salmon.

Like I said, we had such a good time last year that, since we're going back again this year, we contacted them to see what they could do for a returning customer who wanted to see something different, but wanted an extended excursion (4-5 hrs). Since we're traveling as a group of four, they offered to put together a custom trip! Just try to get that kind of service from the cruise ships!

We did the orcas cove kayaking last year and feel the same way - really personalised service and excellent guides. The trips sold on board the ship sell large trips and we really appreciated the one on one attention we received. No crowds here. We will certainly call them again when we go back next year. [url="http://www.kayakketchikan.com"]www.kayakketchikan.com[/url]

2003 Dawn Princess, Alaska
2001 Veendam, Alaska
1998 Statedam, Alaska

Thanks for the great post! We are taking our first trip to Alaska in May and have voted on the kayak trip. As a family of 4 I wanted to be sure that we would take an excursion that the teenagers (15 & 16) would enjoy as much as the adults. It sounds like SE sea kayaks is the way to go! Thank you for the info!

Shelly

Anyone done the Tatoosh Island Kayaking? IM curious about it... still trying to decide between that and the Orca's Cove.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Days till we sail the Infinity to Alaska

I researched the different trips in Ketchikan for kayaking. I called the Tatoosh company and spoke with the owner - their trip is four to four and a half hours and requires a bus trip to get to them, about 45 minutes each way. Then there is a short boat ride to the kayaks. You are only kayaking for about one and a half hours. The group size is up to 16 people. They do not offer food. We tried to book this trip but they cannot accept direct bookings and told us we would have to buy it on the ship! After that I did a little more research and found Orcas Cove kayaking which is not offered on board the cruise lines.
We decided to go with this trip instead because the trip is four hours, no bus ride, instead you go by boat to a wilderness area. The group size is limited to six and the kayaking is 2.5 hours. They also offer a picnic at the end. And I was able to book this trip direct with the company, which I liked.
I also liked the comments written about them on this site - really great resource.

now Im torn... it sounded like the Tatoosh Island kayaking was more adventurous, while the Orca's Cove was more peaceful... Maybe I should switch over to the Orcas cove, Im not so happy with the large group for Tatoosh....

any other opinions out there>?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I'm not sure Orca's Cove wouldn't be considered adventurous. We kayaked away from the island in the current where the cove meets the ocean and it was quite thrilling. It was kind of like the sea kayaking equivalent of white water rafting on a river. When you kayak around the far side of the island there's nothing beteen you and Japan...except a bunch of water. Yes, Orca's Cove is peaceful in parts, but don't sell it short for adventure.

My wife and I will be doing the Orca's Cove trip this summer - it sounds awesome and I can't wait!

Carnival Holiday 10/94
Carnival Sensation 10/95
Carnival Destiny 1/97
Carnival Fascination 1/98
Carnival Tropicale 9/98
Carnival Destiny 10/00
Carnival Triumph 10/01
Disney Wonder 12/01
Carnival Destiny11/02
Princess Diamond Princess 6/04
Carnival Miracle 11/04

[email="augiegator@att.net"]augiegator@att.net[/email]

I don't have a hard time believing they schedule 45 minutes transportation time each way. Tour buses take forever for loading and unloading.

Yes, it will rain in Ketchikan. After all, it is in a rain forest. SESeaKayaks gave us rain coats and dry bags (for camera). The animals don't mind the drizzle, so you just paddle around whether it's raining or not.

Don't you risk getting very wet on this trip & isn't it cold??? We are going in July and my husband might love this, but I am not good at rowing anything, is it hard to do???

Also, you said that they provide you with raincoats, how about rainpants?????

I am such a wimp, but i am trying really hard to keep up for my husband's sake!!!!!

When I booked my kayaking trip they tell you not to wear jeans. Im assuming it is because there is a certain ammount of "wet" factor built in (I mean you are in a little boat in the water, odds are you will get wet) and the jeans are more uncomfortable when wet than other clothes (they suggest sweatpants or those swishy running pants).

Because, you sound like my wife, Im still convincing her about the kayaking (she thinks we'll flip over and be stuck) and had to do some more convincing when the $300 bill came in the mail today... *oh honey, didnt I mention it was going to cost $165/person? No you wont drown I swear*

I can't say that I've done it, but the instructions I received on jeans was more detailed. We were told not to wear tight jeans (they even added that they get some people in mini-skirts and heels). They said looser jeans that you might wear when hiking was fine. So the issue seemed to be comfort and ease of getting in and out of a kayak rather than absorption.

Archived