Anything on Norwegian Majesty

libra22

My husband and I are interested in taking this ship out of Philadelphia for the 2008 Canada/New England cruise. I'm finding more negative input about this ship than positive. Can someone please give me as much info as possible on this ship. We are not picky cruisers, just love cruising.

Thanks

Libra

My husband and I are interested in taking this ship out of Philadelphia for the 2008 Canada/New England cruise. I'm finding more negative input about this ship than positive. Can someone please give me as much info as possible on this ship. We are not picky cruisers, just love cruising.

Thanks

Libra

We're going on the Majesty for the 5 time in just 10 days (YAY!), so we obviously like it. It is an older, smaller ship, but the service has always been excellent and the food, I'm glad to report has steadily improved since our first cruise in quality and variety.

It was fun in April being on the Spirit, a ship we enjoyed very much, and we're very much looking forward to being on a "brandy-new" ship when we sail on the Gem next January, but we still appreciate the quiet charm of the Majesty.

We'll miss her when she no longer sails from Boston.

Cube

The reason you're finding more negative than postive information about the Majesty is because it doesn't have any balconies and doesn't have all the bells and whistles you'll find on newer ships. So, for occupying your time while aboard, you'll have to do some work.

The cafeteria has two lines, one port and starboard. There's few seats, and it's often overflowing to tables a deck below. (Tip#1)There's stairways directly to the room below from the cafeteria. The Main restaurants are sized appropriately for its size and the number of diners aboard. You'll find one aft, and another amidships. They are well decorated.

It's been kept in great shape. The crew is constantly chipping and painting it, and great efforts have been done to keep it in running order. But that doesn't mean the furnishings, carpets, bed spreads and sheets are brand new. The standard cabins are on the smallish size today although they were average in size when the Majesty was built. (Tip #2)But it has

both inside and oceanview Superior cabins, which are sized about average with ships being built today. If you want or need more space in your cabin, book a Superior cabin.

Since the Majesty doesn't have any balconies, there's no aft facing cabins aboard. (Tip#3)The aft facing decks are all open to everyone, and there's a few interesting spaces aft you can enjoy to get away from the crowded Lido Deck.

Remember the Majesty was built in 1992 and stretched in 1998, it's a grand example of how cruise ships were built then. But it has all the basic spaces new ships have today. You can have a great cruise aboard the Majesty if the basics is all you need. If you need bells and whistles to have fun, you might be dissappointed with it.

The Majesty's Bermuda cruises are more about having an extended stay in beautiful St. George than the activities aboard the ship. Don't most cruise to Bermuda to visit and have fun in Bermuda and not on the ship? It's smaller size allows it to dock at the pier in St. George, just a short walk off the ship.

Overall, I would say the Norwegian Majesty is a fine ship! In fact I am trying to put together a group to sail her to Bermuda from Baltimore next year. Is she perfect? hardly. But what she lacks in the so called 'whistles and bells' she makes up in a friendly intimacy most modern ships lack. My advice is go for it! Most folks who sail her are very pleasently suprised. She is certainly a very good value for the $$$. Here is a link to my review of her from our cruise last April:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=27932

We sailed the Majesty in May, 2005 and enjoyed it so much that we are going again in about 2 weeks. What has been posted here pretty much covers it. She is a smaller ship, and she is older. But what is lacking in "bells and whistles" is more than made up for by the crew. I have sailed on HAL and RCCL, both great experiences, but the crew on the Majesty was by far the best. We had our kids with us (13 and 11 at the time) and they enjoyed themselves immensely. The food was very good, the entertainment great.

If you are looking for a relaxing travel vacation, with what I consider to be one of the most beautiful places on earth as your destination, then you will have a great time.

My husband and I are interested in taking this ship out of Philadelphia for the 2008 Canada/New England cruise. I'm finding more negative input about this ship than positive.

Where are you finding all this negativity? Certainly not here on the NCL board on Cruise Critic? Nearly everyone here who has sailed Majesty loves her. If you do a search here you'll find countless cruisers who have cruised her many times--some every year.

Electricron described her best. Does she have a few warts? You bet. Does she make for a comfortable, rewarding cruise? You bet. And by following his "tips" you can negate most of those warts. If you want to be dazzled by wall-to-wall balconies, rock-climbing walls, bowling alleys, billiards rooms, seven-story atria, then don't choose Majesty. If you want to see Canada and New England on a very traditional, comfortable ship with a great crew, then she's an excellent choice.

Archived