Brooklyn Red Hook - Hotels

High C's

I'm looking for some helpful information on where to stay the night before our Crown Princess cruise in September. We will be driving in, so we do not want to stay in Manhattan, but want a hotel that is close to the pier AND close to transportation to take us into Manhattan when we arrive.

I understand the best 3 choices are the Marriott, the Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express. I understand the differences in what the hotels themselves offer, but what I need is some advice on the areas that each hotel is located.

Another option for us is to stay at the Comfort Inn in Queens (Maspeth). We have stayed there in the past, and it is a very clean, friendly spot to stay for a night or two. The location is less than ideal, but we could always take a cab into Manhattan. How easy is it to drive from Queens to the Red Hook pier in the morning?

All suggestions are most welcome!!! At the moment, I am leaning towards the Marriott, but if I can save significant $$$ staying elsewhere that is clean and safe, I'm all for it!!!!!

The comfort inn and the holiday inn expressa re in industrial(car repairs and glass repair) area. Perfectly safe but dead at night. They are close to 4th avenue in Brooklyn which has fairly good subway service to manhattan and are not far from the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. A cab driver will give you a hard time going to them from Manhattan(its illegal I know for them to refuse any ride within NY City). The Broklyn Marriott is a hop and skip from the Brooklyn Bridge and is right over about 6 subway lines. Its the Brooklyn Civic center and it is also fairly dead at night but not so dead as the other two.

Thanks for the info. The Marriott's fees (including parking and taxes) is well over $400, which is fairly steep considering we will not be arriving until late in the day and leaving early morning.

I'll probably look at one of the others I mentioned, or go back to the little Comfort Inn Suites in Queens that we have stayed at before. It also is in a remote area with nothing around it, but for one night that will be fine with us.

Am I correct in assuming the trip from Queens to Brooklyn is straightforward? I must admit driving anywhere near NYC is rather intimidating!

Thanks again - I appreciate your advice.

Thanks for the info. The Marriott's fees (including parking and taxes) is well over $400, which is fairly steep considering we will not be arriving until late in the day and leaving early morning.

I'll probably look at one of the others I mentioned, or go back to the little Comfort Inn Suites in Queens that we have stayed at before. It also is in a remote area with nothing around it, but for one night that will be fine with us.

Am I correct in assuming the trip from Queens to Brooklyn is straightforward? I must admit driving anywhere near NYC is rather intimidating!

Thanks again - I appreciate your advice.

I drive all around and don't find it terrible bad but then again I was born here. If the Comfort Suites Queens is any where near the BQE or the LIE or LGAirport, you are talking under an half hour with no traffic with traffic only the all might knows.

Yes, I'm sure to those of you who live in NYC, the traffic is second nature. But the one and only time we have been to NYC, it took us a long time to get used to the sheer volume of cars. And add to the mix that we were a couple of tourists driving slowly because we were not sure of our way, and you can imagine the reaction of other motorists!!

I notice on Tripadvisor that the Best Western Brooklyn is fairly highly rated (after the Marriott). Do you know anything about that hotel? We truly are easy to please - just something clean and safe!

actually the driving in Quebec is worse and so are the drivers. The Best Western is at about 82nd street and fourth avenue a residential neighborhhood( Bay Ridge)... it is also 20 minutes from the pier without traffic. I pass it everyday I think its the Hotel Gregory....its farther from Manhattan....and doesn't have parking although street parking is available but difficult. I don't think you will have a safety problem at any of them but this is a very quiet and safe neighborhhod.

actually the driving in Quebec is worse and so are the drivers. The Best Western is at about 82nd street and fourth avenue a residential neighborhhood( Bay Ridge)... it is also 20 minutes from the pier without traffic. I pass it everyday I think its the Hotel Gregory....its farther from Manhattan....and doesn't have parking although street parking is available but difficult. I don't think you will have a safety problem at any of them but this is a very quiet and safe neighborhhod.

I agree completely! If the drivers in Quebec don't get you, the pot holes on the roads will. Thanks for ther info re the Best Western. No parking definitely crosses that off of my list! I think I will keep trying to find a bargain site that will give me the Marriott (although I haven't been successful yet). With taxes and parking, the cost for one night is approx. $450. For that $$, I would have upgraded to a suite on the ship that I could enjoy for more than one night! If not, I'll go with the Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Inn.

Thanks for your insight - much appreciated!

Archived