What would be a fun day in St. Martin for a family of 3?

I'm trying to figure out what would be a fun day for the three of us (me, Dh, and DD, age 5). We love the beach and really good food and would like to do a little shopping. We don't really want to drive all over hell's half acre to get there. I am interested in Orient Beach (the less nude, the better my five year old has seen topless, but I'm not sure about showing her variety of people and the "full monty," though.:eek: ) I want to parasail sometime during this cruise (we'll also be visiting St. Thomas, so I can parasail there if time doesn't permit at St. Martin). Any suggestions would be really appreciated. If you know of better beaches/eateries lemme know. I would like to go to the Wajang Doll, perhaps for Dutch Indo food, what beaches are near there? Could this all be done via cabs?:confused:

Thanks all!

Wife & I love OB and if you'll stay on the end away from Club Orient you'll see some topless and maybe a bit more but that's it. SM has some other beautiful beaches and with a child I probably would do another but I have seen kids at CO even! Your decision and it can be managed. OB is great but I'm betting other beaches would work also to your favor.

There are many beaches both on the French and Dutch sides of the island. However, if you want to try something different, I would suggest a day sail. We did Lord Sheffield's tall masted sail trip that leaves from the harbor next to the cruise port and sails along the southern end of the island. It was wonderful and our daughter LOVED it. The kids got to "steer" the ship and you cruise by where the airplanes come in to land right over your head. They anchor and you can swim/snorkel for some time. On the return to the harbor they have a BBQ lunch. Lots of cold beverages and rum punch available. They also serve other snacks/foods throughout the excursion. If intersted, you can browse their website at http://www.stmaarten-shoretrips.com/lordsheffield/

Wajang doll is in Simpson Bay and the beach in SB does not have many facilities and is not a beach that I would recommend. For a beautifull beach and good food ,Orient Bay is definately a good option. There is also a beautifull beach at Friars Bay with a wonderfull french restaurant Friars Bay Beach cafe, but this is further from the cruise ship pier. There are also tours on catamarans and other boats that will take you all around the island and show you some great beaches, There is also a small catamaran that takes upto 8 people and you can basically determine the snorkel and beach time, this page gives you more information:

http://www.excursionworld.com/tours/350.htm

Most beaches are easy to reach by taxi, most taxis are minibuses that will take more people if they go to a popular destination like Orient Bay, prices are fixed and are advertised on boards at the pier

Have a great day in St Maarten!

Archived