What to see/do in Merida?

We are planning on taking the bus into Merida, but I am not sure what to see/do when we get there. Can someone point out the major points of interest for me? Are there any walking tours (either on our own or with a guide) available that point out the major points of interest?

We are not too interested in eating (in port noon - 8pm) since we will most likely have lunch on-board and return in time for dinner.

Any suggestions?

Hey neighbor. Surprised you don't want to sample the local food. To see, there is the Casa de Montejo, buit in 1549. (before the english established the colonies) The Cathedral, built in 1561. There are carriage rides out to a wide, very upscale European style boulevard. Food, beer and coffee is excellent most anywhere. Very warm and gentle people and a very safe and clean city of one million. LOts of plazas (parks). After two port calls at Progreso on Celebrity, I've now been back for three annual land vacations. Continue reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com. There are many options at this port. Sounds like you might be on Rhapsody.

This area is in NO WAY like Cancun, Cozumel or the border towns.

I hope to return later this year for the Day of the Dead festival or next year for Carnival.

Drop me an email for more info. hdawson228@aol.com

Thank you for the quick response hdawson and suggestions for things to see.

Yes, we are on the Rhapsody. The other 3 ports we plan to do the beach/snorkel stuff and thought we would do more sight-seeing during this stop!

Do you recommend the carriage ride? Will they tell you about the sites along the way? Do you have a website for them or a location on where to pick one up, or will it be obvious when we get there?

Absolutely do the carriage ride. It's about 50 minutes and only costs $20. You'll also see the "prettiest Walmart" ever. lol As you can tell, I love the city and the state of Yucatan. They have pro-baseball, a beautiful opera house and the people have a great sense of "community".

Sorry, the carriage driver (?) will probably not speak English. Pick up a hard copy of Yucatan Today at the pier. Even in most museums, the information will be in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish at all and have never had a problem.

Archived