Grand Cayman, Ochos Rios, Cozumel, etc.

manunch

I read in Frommer's that there is very good snorkeling in Runaway Bay, about 10 miles from Ochos Rios. Don't know if you want to travel there, but it may be worth it if you can find a snorkeling tour there. Check with some of the All inclusives there.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure which cruiseline you are sailing with but I know RCCL has an excursion in Cayman that is the coral gardens and sting ray city. On this one you are swimming/snorkeling with the stingrays instead of standing on the sandbar after having some time to snorkel in the coral gardens just to the right of the rays and is AWESOME. I actually gave up the chance to dive in Cayman on our last trip in order to play with the rays.

I also would suggest Cozumel for snorkeling. I actually snorkled there on our first cruise that included Cozumel while my husband went diving because I was not certified. I was so amazed by what I saw that I came home, got certified, and made my husband take me back.

If I could only choose one place to snorkel it would be Cozumel, hands down.

Have a great trip! I wish I was coming with you!

Melanie

Eden Rock is a great dive site in Grand Cayman. It's a short walk to the right when you get off the ship. They have a great dive shop as well and you can dive and snorkel right off the shore. They have a pool and showers to rinse and the people are very friendly.

Beware near the white buoys... a few very large barracuda hang out there!

I am not sure which cruiseline you are sailing with but I know RCCL has an excursion in Cayman that is the coral gardens and sting ray city. On this one you are swimming/snorkeling with the stingrays instead of standing on the sandbar after having some time to snorkel in the coral gardens just to the right of the rays and is AWESOME. I actually gave up the chance to dive in Cayman on our last trip in order to play with the rays.

I also would suggest Cozumel for snorkeling. I actually snorkled there on our first cruise that included Cozumel while my husband went diving because I was not certified. I was so amazed by what I saw that I came home, got certified, and made my husband take me back.

If I could only choose one place to snorkel it would be Cozumel, hands down.

Have a great trip! I wish I was coming with you!

Melanie

Agreed. Just spent a week there back in April and practically went snokeling every day. Unbelieveable scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

When we took that cruise a few years ago, we brought our own snorkel gear with us.

Grand Cayman: found a beach at 7 mile beach. The public beach is nice and has facilities. Cemetary Beach is just up the road from that and has very good snorkeling. No charge for either. Just grab a cab.

Cozumel: Chakanaab - excellent snorkeling right off the beach. Full snorkel and dive facilities, food, etc.

Ocho Rios: We didn't stray to far. Just grabbed lunch at Jimmy Buffets and snorkeled right off their beach. It is right near the ship.

Agreed. Just spent a week there back in April and practically went snokeling every day. Unbelieveable scenery.

did you snorkel at Chancanaab?.. hopefully it has improved this year since after the hurricane...we are going with non snorkelers so I thought this would be a good place for them to try it..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived